Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tragus Piercing

Options
  • 09-11-2008 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.
    Just wanna have a little chat about tragus piercings.
    First of all, how the hell is it pronounced!?..... Trag-us? Tray-gus?
    Anyway i googled it a bit and they said it doesnt hurt much coz theres no nerve endings, or something scientific like that.
    Is ther much problems with rejections or anything like that?
    I'm not that well up on piercings all i have is lobes done twice. But i think tragus mite be the next step.
    Any advice or info would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i say tra-gus but heard it pronounced both ways :)

Ive both mine done, they're a pain in the ass to heal in my experience. Had my right tragus pierced 3 times before it would settle.

They swell a lot, well mine did and got very nasty very quickly. Didn't find it too painful, but again that could just be me. Depending on your anatomy it could go through a lot of cartilage or in some cases none at all.

Just keep it clean, try not sleep on it and don't ue ear phones for a good 3 months

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi Phi3,

I had my tragus (traygus tragus either works) pierced about 3 yrs ago. When I had it done it was pierced from the back with the needle coming thru at the front. The reason for this is that if it is pierced from front to back there would be no room for a cork or receiving tube to catch the needle.

It's a simple enough piercing, I was in and out in about 15 mins and most of that time was spent going through the aftercare. It healed pretty handily too. One thing is don't wear headphones until it's fully healed. I was told that by my piercer but thought I'd be ok after a couple of weeks but it was too soon and I got a huge keloid which was a pain in the ass to get rid of! The procedure itself was grand, there was a bit of a pinch and a push and it was all done. I had little or no pain after too! It's a great little piercing!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dinner's ready!

Toots85 wrote: »
    I got a huge keloid which was a pain in the ass to get rid of!

hi, got mine done bout 2 and a half months ago and im after developing a keloid as well. it's not that big but is still kind of ugly looking. i heard that you can't get rid of them though- is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

That depends on if it's really a keloid or not- a lot of people assume any lump on a piercing to be a keloid, and that includes piercers for some reason, though you probably are better off asking your piercer if you haven't already. Check out these links- if it's a genuine keloid your best bet is to go to a doctor. If it's just hypertrophic scarring there's a number of ways to get rid of them.

(These have kind of icky pictures by the way- just a warning ;) )
    http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Keloid
    http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Hypertrophic_scarring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

have both mine done too,I didnt have too many problems but i know a lot of people who did.Worst part was the swelling imo,Took a little while to settle down as well.and wearing earphones was a bitch for a while!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dinner's ready!

Yeah those pics are kind of gross alright!
    It looks most like the hypertropic scarring on the rook piercing in the pics except maybe just slightly bigger. I'll be in town tomorrow so I'll pop back in and get it checked. It said in those links that many piercers can't really distinguish between keloids and hypertropic scarring, hopefully that's not true of the good people at celestial ring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Had mine done about a month ago, i didn't find it much painful at all :Das people have already said the worst part is the swelling and i'm still finding it just a bit awkward wearing earphones but other than that i love it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i found getting over ear earphones helped a lot!the normal ones always made my piercings angry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Gauge wrote: »
    That depends on if it's really a keloid or not- a lot of people assume any lump on a piercing to be a keloid, and that includes piercers for some reason, though you probably are better off asking your piercer if you haven't already. Check out these links- if it's a genuine keloid your best bet is to go to a doctor. If it's just hypertrophic scarring there's a number of ways to get rid of them.

:eek: Way to turn a girl off Gauge!!!
    Thanx for the info though guys.
    Like i said i dont know a lot about piercings but i would like to get something done, just not 100% sure what. :rolleyes: I know. I guess i need to do my research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Mine didn't hurt getting it done and eventually healed really well and i got it done through a method which is frowned upon so if you get it done right you should be totally fine!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I was in Australia when my keloid developed and I got a prescription for some sort of medicated cream that took the keloid away eventually. Luckily, it was on the inside part, so it couldn't really be seen, it was just very uncomfortable. Unfortunately I haven't seen the cream I used since I moved back, and when I asked about it in the chemist, they'd never heard of it. :(

Gauge wrote: »

Yaaargh!! God, I'm lucky mine was only small compared to some of those!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 alices_wonder

heya I've had mien done for over a year now. It bled a lot when i first got it pierced, but settled down soon. Within 3 weeks though it had a big ole nasty blister hanging off it and to be honest there were a few really tough weeks ahead. It gotten rotten infected and I lost my hearing in that ear for 2 days but soon it was back on track and i havent had a problem with it since!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

heya I've had mien done for over a year now. It bled a lot when i first got it pierced, but settled down soon. Within 3 weeks though it had a big ole nasty blister hanging off it and to be honest there were a few really tough weeks ahead. It gotten rotten infected and I lost my hearing in that ear for 2 days but soon it was back on track and i havent had a problem with it since!

Thanx for that. I'm concidering getting the conch done instead now. Still haven't decided. I think about everything for ages before i do anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Got mine done about 5 months ago. Getting the actual piercing done wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. Mine took 3+ months to heal fully and that could have been because I used headphones from day one and didn't give it a proper chance to settle. Got a keloid aswell after a few weeks but again think that may have been from not allowing it to settle by wearing headphones and lying on that ear some nights (painful to sleep on that ear for a while after getting it done by the way). Keloid went away after a while and all-in-all I'm pretty happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Got mine done 3 weeks ago and it wasn't painful, just a pinch. Used headphones earlier this week and it has swollen a bit, but other than that haven't experienced any problems with it. Tidy little piercing, love it :D

phi3 wrote: »
    Thanx for that. I'm concidering getting the conch done instead now. Still haven't decided. I think about everything for ages before i do anything!

Have the conch done too, it was a grand piercing to heal, easier than the trages, but not hugely different. If you go for the tragus, seriously wait at least 6 weeks before putting in ear phones. The first few times I wore them I was grand, just a little uncomfortable, but seriously it's not worth it cos keloids are so unsightly and uncomfortable! Just go without the headphones for a while and let your nice well healed piercing be your reward! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rifle

Are you talking about getting a horizontal ring piercing? I don't mean to assume, but that is the usual way...

If so, have you seen a vertical piercing with a curved bar?

I had it done last year by Kev from Tribal Ink in Cork and it was one of the coolest piercings I had...the only thing is that it rejected in a couple of months... So I took it out and when it healed I pierced it again...sadly, rejection once more...

I don't know how common rejection is like that (I had horizontal rings in both traguses (tragii?) for a long time with no rejection) but it's worth trying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 087sativa

sounds good im getting mine done on friday but i was wondering where is the cheapest apart from gsa?

You get what you pay for...

If you want it done cheaply it certainly won't be done well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I have both conch and tragus done for over a year. My tragus was quite annoying to heal and i got hyperthropic scarring, which went away after using a tiny bit of tea tree oil with my SSS, but apart fom that it's fine. Tragus is a simple piercing and wont take long to do. Avoid earphones until its healed. The conch I thought was a bit trickier to heal, although maybe it was because I got it pierced with a long bar. Sometimes it can randomly get a bit sore and irritated, but thats just because of the amount of cartilage it goes through. Overall, both are great piercings, but it's up to you at the end of the day which ones you want to get. Best of luck with whatever you choose!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Em_2008

Am I the only person that had no problem with their tragus? I got mine done about a year ago, it bled when i got it pierced and was quite tender for about 3 weeks and then it was fine! I love it =)

Em_2008 wrote: »
    Am I the only person that had no problem with their tragus? I got mine done about a year ago, it bled when i got it pierced and was quite tender for about 3 weeks and then it was fine! I love it =)

Damn you!! Ah just kidding, my problems were of my own making unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭suzaane

Em_2008 wrote: »
    nope, mine was a breeze to heal too :D

First one was fine, second one was a pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lovem

I've had mine done for about 3years now, stung a bit after getting it done, and sleeping was a bit of a pain but other then that its grand, quite annoying with some earphones aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 starrzinmyeyes

i know its kinda late posting...
    but does anyone know where the best place to get my tragus pierced on galway?...im goin tommorrow and hoped to get it done but i have no idea where to go... ive heard both good and bad stories about metalworks?....
    hmmmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

i got mine done about 2 weeks ago by Jon in irish Ink in Gal. really nice guy, really quick and not that sore to be honest, and he took the time after to expain the after care really well...seems to be healing grand, but swollen still, but its ok..not being able to wear earphones (or earplugs for sleeping too) is a bit of a pain, cant wait till its healed...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 celestialteapot

Will wrote: »
    i say tra-gus but heard it pronounced both ways :)

Ive both mine done, they're a pain in the ass to heal in my experience. Had my right tragus pierced 3 times before it would settle.

They swell a lot, well mine did and got very nasty very quickly. Didn't find it too painful, but again that could just be me. Depending on your anatomy it could go through a lot of cartilage or in some cases none at all.

Just keep it clean, try not sleep on it and don't ue ear phones for a good 3 months

Thanks for the info, im thinking about getting mine done. Out of curiosity, are yours barbell or ring?:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement