Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.T jobs Australia/New Zealand...

Options
  • 09-11-2008 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

So is it true there are lots of I.T jobs over there,i will be graduating in 2009 wouldnt mind getting the work experience over there...what are peoples opinions? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

there are jobs over here yes, but the market has slowed down, and if you are just graduating then it might not be the best place to start

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye i found it easy enough to get a good job in IT here in sydney, for a big bank in the city. its only a 9 week contract tho (which actually suits me perfect so i can go travelling after).

Moneys good, but with the exchange rate im actually on the same pay here now as i was back home. When the exchange rate gets better, i'll be on much more than back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

I am in Melbourne and I found it extremely difficult to get an IT job with 4 years exp. I came here on a 1 year working holiday visa, which is probably the worst visa to travel on as companies don't want to take you on because they don't want to sponsor you after 6 months, which is what has to happen if you are on a WHV. I did get an IT job eventually but it wasn't the best pay etc... I have heard from numerous people both recruitment agencies and other travellers that there is a slow down in IT in Oz, both in Melbourne and Sydney. There is a fair bit of permament work but you must convince the recruiter and company you will be staying for a while other wise they don't want to know you.

hertz wrote: »
    I am in Melbourne and I found it extremely difficult to get an IT job with 4 years exp. I came here on a 1 year working holiday visa, which is probably the worst visa to travel on as companies don't want to take you on because they don't want to sponsor you after 6 months, which is what has to happen if you are on a WHV. I did get an IT job eventually but it wasn't the best pay etc... I have heard from numerous people both recruitment agencies and other travellers that there is a slow down in IT in Oz, both in Melbourne and Sydney. There is a fair bit of permament work but you must convince the recruiter and company you will be staying for a while other wise they don't want to know you.

this is true, the fact that recruitment companies can longer sponsor people has not helped in this regard,

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

I think it depends on your line of IT work as well. I work in .NET development and had no problems getting a job, either in Melbourne or Sydney. As soon as I'd send my CV in to recruitment agencies I'd be getting phonecalls non-stop from them. In both places I got work within a week of starting looking, although saying that, I've been in my current job now since February so can't really speak about current market conditions and how things might have slowed down,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Whats it like to get short term contracts for around 3 months? At least that way theres no pretense of you possibly looking for sponsorship and the likes.

i got my job as extra cavoer for the office 2007 rollout in the company, so they were expecting extra volumes of calls to be comin in. suppose i just got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

i worked in IT over there, but i had some experience so it probably helped.

i went through a recruitment agency, hays.com.au and had a job in i think less than a week...

got a it job in new zealand the same way using a recruitment agency called absolute IT just in case you venture over

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭niborm

Swindon wrote: »
    So is it true there are lots of I.T jobs over there,i will be graduating in 2009 wouldnt mind getting the work experience over there...what are peoples opinions? Thanks

You will have roughly no chance of doing this, especially in a slowing market. If you put yourself in their shoes, why would they invest time and money in training you, to watch you leave a few months later?

If you do try, the vast majority of IT jobs are in Sydney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Swindon

dont suppose you would get sponsorship in a tech support job over there by some company? anyone know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

what about someone who was willing to stay there?

Swindon wrote: »
    dont suppose you would get sponsorship in a tech support job over there by some company? anyone know
    technically yes, but finding one might be more difficult in this market
    seachto7 wrote: »
    what about someone who was willing to stay there?

if you are a grad, probably not. usually a company will hire grads in a grad programme to do this, you'd need to do interviews over a few weeks etc (unless you apply from ireland)

comin over here with no experience and expecting a job, is very risky. I wouldnt do it tbh. and I wouldnt recommend it either. get at least 6 months under your belt first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

well, I've got at least 2 years in one particular area (of experience) and nearly 2 years in another area, so surely this would stand to me?

ye you'd be fine. the OP wouldnt!

i have jsut over 2 years under my belt anyway, and i got a job, not easy, but not hard. the hardest part was companies looking to hire time and tellin you to feck off coz ur on the WHV and they want someone long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

The_B_Man wrote: »
    the hardest part was companies looking to hire time and tellin you to feck off coz ur on the WHV and they want someone long term.

The best way is to bs your way around this. Tell them you have long term plans to stay in <insert city name here> because you are engaged to someone from that city and that you moved out here especially for him/her so you are looking to stay long term but are on WHV at the moment. You have to be as sharp as a chisel these days and to play the game in interviews, ya know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

well,. with my age (last year of WHV), and having been in oz on hols before, I'd stress to them that I would be staying, which I would be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Swindon

so ye reckon 6 mths tech support would stand to me,yes im graduating this year...

Advertisement