Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientology and Anonymous

Options
  • 09-11-2008 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Strange things are happening concerning Scientology, and nothing is quite what it seems in my opinion. For at least the last 6 months a group calling itself Anonymous has been organising protests, pickets and public actions against Scientology. Many of their videos can be viewed on You Tube. But are Anonymous what they claim to be.

I'm not sure. I think there's a possibility that Anonymous are in fact Scientology. That may be one reason they want to be anonymous and wear masks. We could now be in the post-Scientology era were any publicity is good publicity. Until Anonymous started organising campaigns against Scientology, no one was talking about Scientology. Now every Anonymous protest is covered by the media, and the subject of Scientology gets into the papers and usually on to TV, radio and the internet. It seems to me, in many ways, Anonymous are doing Scientology a big favour.

So too is the recent publicity about a book apparently critical of Scientology. I heard an interview the author gave about his book on RTE radio, and also read about his book on page 3 on a national newspaper. Although the author criticised Scientology, he also talked a lot about their beliefs. However well-intentioned and genuine, his book actually helps Scientology by giving it publicity. Interestingly I couldn't find his book on Amazon.com, and it appeared to be published by an obscure book publisher.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Oracle wrote: »
    Strange things are happening concerning Scientology, and nothing is quite what it seems in my opinion. For at least the last 6 months a group calling itself Anonymous has been organising protests, pickets and public actions against Scientology. Many of their videos can be viewed on You Tube. But are Anonymous what they claim to be.

I'm not sure. I think there's a possibility that Anonymous are in fact Scientology. That may be one reason they want to be anonymous and wear masks. We could now be in the post-Scientology era were any publicity is good publicity. Until Anonymous started organising campaigns against Scientology, no one was talking about Scientology. Now every Anonymous protest is covered by the media, and the subject of Scientology gets into the papers and usually on to TV, radio and the internet. It seems to me, in many ways, Anonymous are doing Scientology a big favour.

So too is the recent publicity about a book apparently critical of Scientology. I heard an interview the author gave about his book on RTE radio, and also read about his book on page 3 on a national newspaper. Although the author criticised Scientology, he also talked a lot about their beliefs. However well-intentioned and genuine, his book actually helps Scientology by giving it publicity. Interestingly I couldn't find his book on Amazon.com, and it appeared to be published by an obscure book publisher.

First anonymous is most definitely not Scientology. You'd think spreading awareness of the dangers and abuses of Scientology would kinda show that beyond doubt.
    Secondly any media focus on said abuses of Scientology is certainly not good publicity.
    That is of course ignoring any of the media attention before February this year when the protests started.

The book you're talking about ("the Complex" by John Duigan) has been removed from Amazon due to "legal reasons". However it available in most irish bookshops.

More information here: http://anoneire.ning.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Thanks for posting, I didn't think there'd be a reply in 15 minutes. I would agree with you on one point, Anonymous spreads awareness of Scientology. That's what concerns me and it's the reason they're helping Scientology.

Regarding the book that got so much publicity, perhaps this book is in the bookshops but I'd doubt it. I searched for this book on Eason's web site, it's not listed there, nor is it on WH Smith. A Google search for the book, by title and author, shows only one reference to it being available for sale.

Thanks for posting, I didn't think there'd be a reply in 15 minutes. I would agree with you on one point, Anonymous spreads awareness of Scientology. That's what concerns me and it's the reason they're helping Scientology.

Regarding the book that got so much publicity, perhaps this book is in the bookshops but I'd doubt it. I searched for this book on Eason's web site, it's not listed there, nor is it on WH Smith. A Google search for the book, by title and author, shows only one reference to it.
    I don't see how showing how scientology brainwashes and abuses its members, supplying information about their attacks on critics and warning people away from them is helping them.

I got my copy in hodges and fidges on dawson street and i think a friend of mine got one in easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

Throughout history this has happened. Hitler caused chaos throughout Czechoslavakia by ordering sympethisers to riot while at the same time threatening the prime minister that if he didn't resume order he would set the luftwaffe on them and take over. In the end after all the chaos he created, they practically handed the country over on a plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

ok, has nobody here ever been on 4chan?
    anonymous is not part of scientology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

King Mob wrote: »
    I don't see how showing how scientology brainwashes and abuses its members, supplying information about their attacks on critics and warning people away from them is helping them.

I got my copy in hodges and fidges on dawson street and i think a friend of mine got one in easons.

Well lets see. OK maybe the book is available in Irish bookstores after all. But you've answered your own question. Raising awareness of Scientology is helping Scientology; for example, you and your friend have both bought books about Scientology.

Well lets see. OK maybe the book is available in Irish bookstores after all. But you've answered your own question. Raising awareness of Scientology is helping Scientology; for example, you and your friend have both bought books about Scientology.

A book about a person who left scientology and details the human rights abuses that go on in the Sea Org (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_org) as well as the way that a cult can take over your life.

Considering that scientology isn't going to make a cent off this book and that in all likely hood have spend money trying to get it blocked, how exactly is buying a book critical of scientology helping it?

We're getting people to look into the dangers of scientology not promoting it.
    I have no idea how you think that is helping scientology.

Or will people see all these nasty protesters, feel sorry for them then join?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    ok, has nobody here ever been on 4chan?
    anonymous is not part of scientology.

Lol, I was just going to say that. Plus were all the people at the protests a while back also members of the church?!

Advertisement