Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

52" LCD TV for €1299 at DID

Options
  • 09-11-2008 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Was in DID Newbridge today and saw an LG 52" LCD for €1299

I asked the manager about it and he told me it was discounted from €1999
    this weekend and comes with a 3 year warranty. I think the model number is
    52LG5010 :

http://uk.lge.com/products/model/detail/lcdtv_52lg5010.jhtml

Does anyone have any experience of this TV, especially in how it handles
    standard definition signals like Sky. Are LG any good compared to the likes of
    Sony or Samsung?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

pauly3 wrote: »
    Was in DID Newbridge today and saw an LG 52" LCD for €1299

I asked the manager about it and he told me it was discounted from €1999
    this weekend and comes with a 3 year warranty. I think the model number is
    52LG5010 :

http://uk.lge.com/products/model/detail/lcdtv_52lg5010.jhtml

Does anyone have any experience of this TV, especially in how it handles
    standard definition signals like Sky. Are LG any good compared to the likes of
    Sony or Samsung?

Between the three manufacturers you've just mentioned, going from best to worst, it would be Sony, Samsung and then LG.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Try and find a review. AV Forums is a good place to start.

Very important for you to check it out as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

The TV seems to be €1,199.95 in Power City http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-14

Is it worth buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Between the three manufacturers you've just mentioned, going from best to worst, it would be Sony, Samsung and then LG.

I think Samsung are better on comparative models - especially when you factor in bang for buck. I 3> Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

In fairness though, a sony 52w4000 or a samsung 52a656 would be WAY WAY WAY more than this LG, even online. Double the price i would think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Wow. You are getting a Full HD, 52inch (!!) LCD from a proper AV brand for €1200. That would be unheard of 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

What's the point in having a TV that size with mediocre video quality? The bigger the TV is, the easier it is to spot the deficiencies of the TV.

I would rather pay for quality, than pay for a TV on sale with only average quality. In saying that, this is my opinion based on my needs, so I am sure that other peoples' opinions will differ based on their own requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

to those who dont know about LG quality or plasma
    i must tell you, this is a good price of 52"
    Climate expert, Power city price is 1399 and not 1199.

This is full HD 1080p,
    LG is one of the biggest brand of the world and they compete as good as Sony or Samsung, LG is better becuase they have XD technology.
    Plasma is always better than LCD i think (My opinion, i dont want to start a thread within a thread:) ] different people have differnt prospective.
    check this out
    http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/0,239035250,240036500,00.htm make sure you watch and hear the video
    I am going to DID tomorrow to see if thet have built in @freeview tuner as they have in UK models.

LG, SAMSUNG, SONY, they all make tv assembled of CKDs parts and only 1 or 2 parts are different, outside molding is exception. Most of the time, 1 company supply all screen etc.
    in Plasma Pioneer KURO is best but i would not want to spend more than 1300 on plasma
    52 inch is my choice anyway
    Checked with Curry, they are selling samsung similiar for 1400

but if i have to select Samsung or LG, i will pick LG.
    Had bought an LG in 1996 and it is still working in perfect condition

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

or panasonic which is giving a 5 year warranty at moment or sony has w series with 5 year warranty in some shops. Also if you get panasonic pz81 series, you can get build in freesat hd satellite box and mpeg4 tuner for upcoming dtt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CH3OH

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    Climate expert, Power city price is 1399 and not 1199.

The tv was 1199 on the power city website 2 weeks ago. A week ago it went to 1299 and this week went to 1399! Christmas must be coming!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

LG aren't great ,they are the same company as philips more or less.
    They both share the same factories etc ,but lg seems to experiment more with their models.

LG aren't great

i disagree!
    whats your benchmark?

Benchmark ? ,I've still got two lg monitors I bought over five or six years ago. A panasonic tube and plasma ,sips monitor which philips make and various other brands.

LG probably have a few good sets on their side ,but I wouldn't go looking for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

shop from the north much cheaper. Here all of them are rippers!!

Zeppi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

311 wrote: »
    LG aren't great ,they are the same company as philips more or less.
    They both share the same factories etc ,but lg seems to experiment more with their models.

I have to agree with 311. LG are not one of the best LCD makers around. The 3 best are Sony, Samsung & Panasonic. The rest are also rans, have no where near the technology of the others.

As an example, my work colleague bought the 32LG5000 in Powercity, €500. Didn't look up any reviews before hand, brought it home and hates it.
    it has terrible ghosting and motion resolution problems when any fast camera panning happens on screen with SD Sky & standard aeriel.

Quick review info:
    The 5010 gets a good review too (this time for the 47"), but only gets 3 stars for sd picture, and 57% overall.

However, some other sources (such as Trusted reviews, what tv and hi) have given the 5010 a bit of a shoeing for its picture quality, with motion blurring apparently a problem.

Bit of search as I am trying to close the deal on a TV
    minimum criteria:
    Full HD (1920x1080p), 100Hz, 30,000:1
    52"
    =======================================================
    LG 52" (52LG5010) LCD, DID-€1299, Powercity-€1399, Scart2-3HDMI

SHARP 52" (LC52X20E) LCD, Pixmania.ie-€1416+65shipping, Scart2-3HDMI

Philips 52" (PFL7762) LCD, currys.co.uk-£1098 (convert in €), Scart2-3HDMI
    =========================================================

LG 50" (50PG4500) PLASMA, Pixmania.ie-€1108+65shipping, Scart2-4HDMI

Samsung 50" (PS50A566) PLASMA, Pixmania-€1315+65shipping,Scart2-4HDMI

Panasonic 50" (TH50PZ80B) PLASMA, richersound-£1099 -Scart2-2HDMI
    =======================================================

any more addition? should i drive to richer sound belfast tomorrow or just buy from DID, ?

shop from the north much cheaper

Zeppi...how much????? even for TV?

Astraclub, the Panasonic PZ80 listed above is by far the best TV and best value of the bunch. 2nd best Plasma TV on the market, only behind the Pioneer Kuro which costs twice as much.
    Its a fantastic price from RicherSounds. You can purchase it in sterling and get it delivered to anywhere in Ireland for €25 for boards.ie users.

thanks
    however it has 2 HDMI only
    but thanks for the info,
    waiting for fiew more suggestions....(thats why still online:)

Astra club ,you will more than likely be investing in a multi channel amplifier. Even some basic ones come with a 2in1 out hdmi connections.
    Which would give you an extra hdmi connection.

• Advertisement

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    thanks
    however it has 2 HDMI only
    but thanks for the info,
    waiting for fiew more suggestions....(thats why still online:)

Its has 3 HDMI ports. 2 on the back and 1 on the front.

cheers! just checked, its is saying 3 HDMI , so 3
    going to bed now,
    will make a quick drive to HV,DID,CURRYS,ARGOS tomorrow and let ya know,
    Richer sound is my best and will ring Dave or John later evening with the model

LG is damn cheap in 52" is in it>
    Good night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

isnt the pz81 not better with built in freesat, and mpeg4 dtt decoding? which the pz80 does not have?

Yes
    but PZ81 is 1868 Euro (Pixmania)

Advertisement