Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Tornado

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

KhanTheMan wrote: »

Indeed ;) Of course we might - a bit sensationalist if you ask me - Daily Express type of article.

Still bucketing here - 9.4mm so far this afternoon - heavy not torrential.

I see some sferics showing up on the south coast atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not trying to be cynical but the term 'mini tornado' is over used imo to describe a sqaull. Not say there wasn't a tornado for one minute but when I see the medja classifying something as a 'mini tornado' I wouldn't take that as gospel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not trying to be cynical but the term 'mini tornado' is over used imo to describe a sqaull. Not say there wasn't a tornado for one minute but when I see the medja classifying something as a 'mini tornado' I wouldn't take that as gospel!

Bottom line for families with damaged houses, doesn't matter whether it was tornado or straight winds. Also nothing mini about something causing damage and being a threat to life.

Back to current weather, nothing much happening now.
    6.8C, 15mm today
    WSW 13mph gust 26mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hey don't talk down our twister!

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Around two dozen houses have been damaged in Waterford city following what residents have described as a mini tornado.

The adverse weather conditions hit the Larchville estate shortly before 3.30pm, causing damage to houses and trees

There are no reports of injuries.

AdvertisementThere are also reports of localised flooding in many parts of the south-east.

Larchville - http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.247563,-7.142744&spn=0.054021,0.109863&t=h&z=13

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Watching that report I heard the newscaster describe 'met eireann' as 'met asian' :pac: and 'mini tornado' my h0le :mad:.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Normal day in Larchville so. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SLOOPY

Mothman wrote: »
    Bottom line for families with damaged houses, doesn't matter whether it was tornado or straight winds. Also nothing mini about something causing damage and being a threat to life.
    Back to current weather, nothing much happening now.
    6.8C, 15mm today
    WSW 13mph gust 26mph.

A bit scary to say the least when you see roof tiles being ripped off and flying through the air,garden benches and kids trampolines being lifted and flung over walls.

Thankfully no one was hurt.
    Sully wrote: »
    Normal day in Larchville so. :pac:

Whats that got to do with the topic of the thread?

Peoples homes have been damaged and all you can do is make snide comments.

Sad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

tornado warning in the uk aswell.
    Deadly weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Jaysus.

Mothman wrote: »

:confused: You know what I meant! I wasn't for one minute lessening or dismissing the impact of the weather and the terrible effect it can have on peoples homes and lives - I was just commenting on the way the weather is classified andreported in the media sort of following on from my earlier post, that's all.

Anyhow 4.4c here atm in a very cold nw wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Most of these posts moved from Current weather conditions thread.

Keeping with meteorology for a minute as is the nature of this forum, was this a spinning vortex/tuba extending from the base of a cloud yesterday? More than likely not but unless we have several eye witnesses we will never know for sure. Glued to my screen(radar and sat pics) watching the front as it moved across the country and no signs of Cb build up microbursts or even downdrafts. Strong wind shear with strong SE or southerly winds off a frictionless sea with high gusts and squalls would be my best guess (maybe a funnel was sighted somewhere in the country yesterday), enough to rip tiles up and knock small trees down. Clonee Jan 2005 experience similar.

Does the media blow/hype all weather events using over exaggerated terms out of proportion to the lay person, always.

Is this still dangerous to families or innocent bystanders, of course. To be hit by a flying tile will leave a lasting impression for sure and the damage it has and would do to someones property. Acts of god are not covered by insurance and good time of the year people have to fork out to cover the cost of the damage themselves just before Christmas in this unsure economic climate. :)

If for what ever reason some post offends you in any way, report it and we will do deal with it. No point in you or others expressing a personal opinion to him/her also. We will ask the poster to retract or edit their post. :)

I got no reported posts to anything here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Snowbie wrote: »
    Most of these posts moved from Current weather conditions thread.

Keeping with meteorology for a minute as is the nature of this forum, was this a spinning vortex/tuba extending from the base of a cloud yesterday? More than likely not but unless we have several eye witnesses we will never know for sure. Glued to my screen(radar and sat pics) watching the front as it moved across the country and no signs of Cb build up microbursts or even downdrafts. Strong wind shear with strong SE or southerly winds off a frictionless sea with high gusts and squalls would be my best guess (maybe a funnel was sighted somewhere in the country yesterday), enough to rip tiles up and knock small trees down. Clonee Jan 2005 experience similar.

Does the media blow/hype all weather events using over exaggerated terms out of proportion to the lay person, always.

Is this still dangerous to families or innocent bystanders, of course. To be hit by a flying tile will leave a lasting impression for sure and the damage it has and would do to someones property. Acts of god are not covered by insurance and good time of the year people have to fork out to cover the cost of the damage themselves just before Christmas in this unsure economic climate. :)

If for what ever reason some post offends you in any way, report it and we will do deal with it. No point in you or others expressing a personal opinion to him/her also. We will ask the poster to retract or edit their post. :)

I got no reported posts to anything here.

I believe that such damage would be covered as "Storm Damage". I don't think Acts Of God applies to weather related damage any more

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Tornadoes in Ireland are not 'Acts of God'. Such a defence by insurance companies to avoid payouts is unsustainable legally, although some try it as a first reaction. In this case there are some big questions as to whether this was really a tornado. If anyone has hard information please send it on to the tornado researcher at U.C.C. at j.tyrrell@ucc.ie .

shamwari wrote: »
    I believe that such damage would be covered as "Storm Damage". I don't think Acts Of God applies to weather related damage any more
    Unfortunately it does, heard a story before of a chimney on a townhouse in Dublin city crumbles onto a roof of a car both companies claimed that an 'Act of God' is not covered under the policy of the house and car during a wind storm a couple of years back.
    sunset wrote: »
    Tornadoes in Ireland are not 'Acts of God'. Such a defence by insurance companies to avoid payouts is unsustainable legally, although some try it as a first reaction. In this case there are some big questions as to whether this was really a tornado. If anyone has hard information please send it on to the tornado researcher at U.C.C. at j.tyrrell@ucc.ie .
    Agree. Acts of God they are not to you and me or most people but just how many insurance companies would class it as that?

How many touchdowns in Ireland is unknown with a small portion of this only witnessed or even documented.
    Just how many sightings does TORRO receive from eye witness and the hard evidence to back this up per year in Ireland?
    Is there a location/area in this country that have the majority of tornadoes that have been recorded?
    Is this area documented as having the severest and most converging winds eg: N Midlands or are they very sporadic across the island resulting from the strongest thunderstorms with lots of low and deep level shear?

Is this info available to the general public and also reported to Met E and TORRO?
    also does TORRO still look for a yearly subscription to join got the member form a few years back but never followed it up? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

sunset wrote: »

That's what I thought as well. I know someone who claimed when his chimney was struck by lightning and he wasn't expecting a payout in the belief that the insurance company would contest it as an AOG. However they paid it immediately as straightforward storm damage claim.

Ok, must be some insurance companies that have seen the light. I wonder if the residents of Ringsend where so lucky in the end in the floods earlier this decade.

Docarch know's of someone who also recently had a house struck by lightning, was that covered by insurance too.
    Is it only certain companies that cover this? Mine doesn't and is up at the start of next month. Looking at the policy now and there is no storm damage cover or even in the small print. In fact no policy i ever had had a storm damage type on it.
    Had a few in my time and house and building/contents are insured of decent sized sums.

My renewal now has an update on it--> (Escape of Water) now excludes damage to walls, ceilings and tiles and this is an update.:eek: Shop around again, i will enquire about storm damage and whats classified of an Act of God.
    What if some weather event where to happen, i think unlikely i'm covered.:(

Is there only certain weather events that are covered by 'Storm damage' or are all that can affect the building covered internally and externally? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

An act of god is the insurance company's 00 on the roulette wheel. It makes absolutely no sense, but to allow them to profit some more.

Ive seen some proper tornadoes first hand in the US and they are unbelievable, so i wouldnt say this one was in the major leagues at all , if it was even a tornado. I just thought it would be a fun dimension to the weather watching yesterday so posted it. No offense taken at any posts saying it may not have been a tornado. 100% correct.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Docarch know's of someone who also recently had a house struck by lightning, was that covered by insurance too.

Last I heard (just after the event) he did have the insuarnce assessors out - the work is underway atm reparing the house - must find out did the insurance pay up. AFAIK they did.

BTW, I used to live in Clonee and personally experienced the 'mini tornado' there on new years day a couple of years ago, while it didn't damage my house directly it was very very sacry stuff with debris and objects generally flying around for 20 seconds or so, vans overturned, sheds and fences demolihed, trees uprooted, etc. - I was convinced that I had lost my roof.

I can confirm that it did not matter a damm to those on the ground whether it was a 'mini tornado, squall or flying pig (it was a squall;)).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

:confused: You know what I meant! I wasn't for one minute lessening or dismissing the impact of the weather and the terrible effect it can have on peoples homes and lives - I was just commenting on the way the weather is classified andreported in the media sort of following on from my earlier post, that's all.
    Ah another example of how just reading text can be misunderstood.
    Sorry, I was agreeing and emphasising a tangent point and you're right about "You know what I meant!"

• Registered Users Posts: 41 StratoQ

Dr John Tyrrell of Cork Uni (and Torro), an experienced site investigator, has concluded that it wasnt a tornado.

He found just a single area of damage more than likely caused by a straight line wind from a downburst/microburst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Aldee84

Yawn

Advertisement