Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request for Diocesan maps - Final year college project for St Vincent De Paul

Options
  • 08-11-2008 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm in my final year in Trinity College doing a course called Management Science and Information Systems Studies. We have to do a final year project and I chose to do mine for St Vincent de Paul.

A quick bit of background on the project
    The project involves the mapping of SVP's conferences. Conferences are the groups of volunteers that carry out a variety of charitable and community activities for an area. Because of SVP's tradition (although there are some more complex reasons) conferences and councils are not logically structured. Current conferences are based on the Diocesan Map. Unfortunately, nowadays very few people needing the society’s help are really aware of parish and diocesan boundaries.

This causes much confusion and delay in responding to requests for help. There are many examples of instances where someone seeking help from the society has been bounced around the organisation for weeks before someone was identified who could help. Unfortunately, there are times when families who have asked for help and did not receive it, only because the society was not clear about its boundaries. This is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Where you can (hopefully) help
    So, I need to try and get a hold of this conference information. I think the best place to start would be the Diocesan maps. From speaking with my contact in SVP though, I understand that these can be difficult to get hold of.

I have already contacted The National Centre for Geocomputation, Maynooth as I feel they might be able to help. Does anyone now of any other organisations or individuals who may be able to help with this information? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

Look at any of the websites of the Dioceses in the country. They show the parishes.

Advertisement