Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Marvin really all that intelligent??

Options
  • 08-11-2008 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

let's face it - he never actually did anything of the magnitude of the intelligence that he claimed to have possessed...he may have just been going on about it, winding em all up in the knowledge that they never would task him with any duty that required such intelligence...

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,281 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

winding em all up in the knowledge that they never would task him with any duty that required such intelligence...

That seems pretty clever to me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Zaph wrote: »
    That seems pretty clever to me. :)

lol. clever ya but no more so than the average wind up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

lol. clever ya but no more so than the average wind up.

Just as clever, I would have thought as the:

Deep Thought: The answer to the ultimate question...
    ...yes...
    DT:...of life...
    ...yes...
    DT:...the universe...
    ...yes...
    DT:...and everything...
    ...YES...
    DT:...is....42.

There is also a literary point in it, because a hero who is all knowing is boring and ruins the suspense (which as we all know Adams was the master of).

Just as clever, I would have thought as the:

Deep Thought: The answer to the ultimate question...
    ...yes...
    DT:...of life...
    ...yes...
    DT:...the universe...
    ...yes...
    DT:...and everything...
    ...YES...
    DT:...is....42.

There is also a literary point in it, because a hero who is all knowing is boring and ruins the suspense (which as we all know Adams was the master of).

Marvin wasn't nearly as intelligent as Deep Thought. Deep Thought answered the Ultimate Question...Marvin rarely demonstrated this intelligence he supposedly had...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Marvin wasn't nearly as intelligent as Deep Thought. Deep Thought answered the Ultimate Question...Marvin rarely demonstrated this intelligence he supposedly had...

No, but the Earth was so intelligent that Deep Thought was unworthy to calculate even the most basic operational parameters.

• Advertisement

No, but the Earth was so intelligent that Deep Thought was unworthy to calculate even the most basic operational parameters.

Ya but I'm not questioning Deep Thought versus the Earth, I'm questioning Marvin versus, well anything...

I can only recall a couple of instances where he showed any advanced form of intelligence...if even a couple...

Ya but I'm not questioning Deep Thought versus the Earth, I'm questioning Marvin versus, well anything...

I can only recall a couple of instances where he showed any advanced form of intelligence...if even a couple...

It's a joke - he has a brain the size of a planet but all he is ever asked to do is fetch things and mind stuff. The people personalities that were put into him to make him more user friendly by the sirius cibernetics corporation make him misanthropic so he doesn't want to help the heroes.

The whole point is that you don't see his intelligence.

It's a joke - he has a brain the size of a planet but all he is ever asked to do is fetch things and mind stuff. The people personalities that were put into him to make him more user friendly by the sirius cibernetics corporation make him misanthropic so he doesn't want to help the heroes.

Ya I got it was a joke...but I'm just making the point, is it possible that he was just taking the p*ss?? That he wasn't intelligent - just said he was?? I wouldn't read too deep into it - I'm just making idle conversation, raising questions to which we'll never know the answer...

Ya I got it was a joke...but I'm just making the point, is it possible that he was just taking the p*ss?? That he wasn't intelligent - just said he was?? I wouldn't read too deep into it - I'm just making idle conversation, raising questions to which we'll never know the answer...

Ah, I see now.

Well, he was pretty clever when he outwitted the other robot in the Guide headquarters. That's more wit than intelligence, but I think it counts.

Ah, I see now.

Well, he was pretty clever when he outwitted the other robot in the Guide headquarters. That's more wit than intelligence, but I think it counts.

True.

• Advertisement
Advertisement