Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture - New Tyres/Tubes?

Options
  • 08-11-2008 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Ahoy folks,

N00b here. Had my first puncture on the way to work this morning - cycled over some glass that was hidden under leaves on the road. :mad:

Luckily I had a spare tube in my bag and after about 40 bloody minutes I managed to get it changed. Unfortunately the crappy pump I had on the bike didn't work and I had to get my girlfriend up to drive out and meet me with my track pump. :(

Not a good start to the day.

Anywho, the tyres themselves have a few holes in them, picked about 4 small pieces of glass from the back one and the front one has a 2cm slice in it but it doesn't go the whole way through. Do they both need to be replaced?

Any recommendations? I've seen much talk of Gatorskins and Armadillos here?

The bike's a Giant FCR 2.5 and I just had the standard Kendra 700x26mm tyres on it - would there be any issues fitting 23c tyres to it? They'd be a little faster, right?

Also, I guess I'll need a new pump and some new spare tubes - is there much difference in tubes? Put a Specialized road tube in this morning, but I see there's some "self-healing" ones on wiggle - do they actually work?

Cheers. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I don't think that you need new tyres - just make sure to remove all bits of glass from them.

I've never bothered with self-healing tubes - just change to a spare tube when out and fix the tube when I get home.

You might consider carrying a spare folding tyre in your saddle pack, along with two spare tubes and tyre levers. And a working pump of course ;)

There should not be any issues fitting 700x23c tyres, though the 26s might be better for this time of year (more rubber on the road, slightly more comfortable ride).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Welcome to the fun that is cycling.

You can go months and never pick up a puncture and then get a bajillion in a week.

I personally don't carry spare tubes. I think it's just easier as a commuter to fix the puncture so repair kit and hand pump is all I carry.

If you're a commuter then invest in a pair on continental gator skin tyres (what I use) or armadillos are another option.

For what it's worth I got a Claud Butler bike with probably the same tyres as you. They're like f'ing butter to glass and picked up a puncture on my second cycle. Chuck them for gators. Personally I've been puncture free since I got them. However if you stick with the Kendras then don't worry about the holes.... it's when the tread vanishes and you start seeing wires that you really should be investing in new tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I always carry two spare tubes in a saddle bag. I had an experience where I had only one and had to use it on a long spin and was left feeling decidedly unsure of myself for the remainder. Therefore, I always just keep 2 there now.

For changing, there's no mucking about at the side of the road. Pretty much, take the old one off and put the new one on.

Remember though to check the tyre for the intruding/puncturing object (this is most important). Check inside and outside thoroughly. Outside is probably more important as the inside might only be pierced under pressure. I usually just squeeze the tyre as I look around the outside and inspect every blemish to see if there's a bit of an ould beer bottle in there.

Then, repair the tube in the warmth and dryness of your kitchen when you get home and your spare is recycled! The biggest clue to where there might be glass in your tyre is the location of the hole in your tube. If you use the basin-of-water trick, the tube problem will be 1:1 in relation to your tyre.

Also, I have Schwalbe Marathons on front and back and find them quite good. However, I'm careful of glass and if I see an obvious patch of a broken bottle, I'll do what I can to avoid it - even to the point of dismounting if it's something like an exploded crystal palace on the ground. There's few things worse than having to change at the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

The biggest clue to where there might be glass in your tyre is the location of the hole in your tube. If you use the basin-of-water trick, the tube problem will be 1:1 in relation to your tyre.

Another trick is to position your tyres in the same position relative to your rims all the time - find the arrow which shows which direction the tyre should turn, and position your tyre so the arrow points at your valve hole. Find the hole in your tube, lay your tube over your tyre, and that's where you will probably find your glass/stone/etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've Armadillos slicks on a old mountain bike, and got a puncture from a shard of glass about a week after I put them on. But then no more for the entire summer. On the day I got the puncture I had the wrong spare tube with me, and so just fixed it there and then. Its as quick tbh. Only takes about 5 mins longer, and its less bulky to carry the repair kit than a tube. You have to carry a pump regardless, or one of those gas thingies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Also, I have Schwalbe Marathons on front and back and find them quite good. However, I'm careful of glass and if I see an obvious patch of a broken bottle, I'll do what I can to avoid it - even to the point of dismounting if it's something like an exploded crystal palace on the ground. There's few things worse than having to change at the side of the road.

+1 on all the advice above but I echo this one especially. For commuting I have these on my wheels because whatever about puncturing on a leisure spin, if you're on your way to something important you sometimes just can't afford to puncture. I rarely got punctures, (frantically touches wood now), but "never" get them since the marathons.

Last puncture I got commuting I had to lock the bike in Cabra and take a taxi. Spent an hour that evening looking for where I'd locked the bike.

Advertisement