Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCHOS 605 - Video compatibility.

Options
  • 08-11-2008 3:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi guys, wondering if the archos 605 will play most downloaded films off bittorent or limewire etc without the need for plug ins?

If not is there any other player that will play such vids without the tiresome chore that is converting files?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I have the 604 which is similar. You need the plugins tbh.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2007/10/archos-605-wifi-review.php

Plug-ins

At first I thought that plugins were a good idea since you pay for only what you use. However, the plugins add up very quickly. To get the full use out of the 605 you will need to spend another $70 on the plugins below. If you do not purchase the web browser two of the icons on the home screen become completely useless.

Here are the current available plugins:

* Video Podcast – H.264, AAC ($20)
    * Cinema Plug-in DVD, MPEG2, AC3 ($20)
    * Web Browser ($30)

I have the browser and cinema plugin. MPEG-2 format (.vob, .mpg and .ps extensions)

If you want H.264 you will also need the Video Podcast plugin. Play back free video files downloaded from the internet with .mp4, .m4v or .mov extensions, encoded with H264 video codec and sound track in MP3 or AAC format.
    Listen to audio podcasts, free audio files downloaded from the internet in AAC or M4A format.

Its a great PMP but the fact you have to buy the plugins separately is off putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dublin321

So the average downloaded film won't work without me buying plug in's?

You'd think creative or soemone would have some sort of competitor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

It will be dependant on what codec the film is using. As said great player shame about the plugins. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

dublin321 wrote: »
    Hi guys, wondering if the archos 605 will play most downloaded films off bittorent or limewire etc without the need for plug ins?

If not is there any other player that will play such vids without the tiresome chore that is converting files?

Thanks in advance!
    The 605 can only play divx files without plugins, but you can get them cheaper than Archos are selling them for.
    Have a look at this link and see can u figure out what this guy is selling

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=18872

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i got an archos 700AV about 3 years ago at this stage and it can not play alot of types.
    I know its not much help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dublin321

Thnaks for the help. Archos sounds like a nuisance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

all in all... i like having it around.
    i think it will play xvids, and if it doesnt you can use tons of free convertors out there to convert it to the correct format.

the facilities it does have outway those cons in my opinion.

just the facility of being able to connect it up to the main PC using the red,white,yellow cables (i never remember the name of those:)) is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

dublin321 wrote: »
    Thnaks for the help. Archos sounds like a nuisance...

Couldn't disagree with you more, ok I know u have to buy these plugins but the total amount for all the plugins is about €70 once u have these you can download nearly all formats, I have a 605 and I wouldn't be without it, I have about 150 full length movies I record stuff of the tv and watch it on the bus into work next morning i have all my music on it and a load of pictures and you can surf the net I can't believe these things are not more popular. I mean Itouch and Ipod and a lot of other pmp's won't play certain formats and that just the end of it, at least with archos you can get a plugin to play the format you want, and what other pmp offers capacity of 160,250 or even 320gb??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I havn't bought a single plugin (bar the web browser) for my 605 and it plays 90% of the movies/videos i download. It plays pretty much any xvid i throw at it apart from the odd movie that has ac3 sound which you need a plugin for

Advertisement