Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike stolen - Lapierre RCR 100

Options
  • 07-11-2008 9:17pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Maybe this is a RIP more than anything, but anyway...

My bike just got nicked outside Heuston Station at 6pm today, I foolishly just used my secondary lock as I was "only going to be five mins". Here it is...

3011216648_620c2b646a.jpg?v=0
    (larger pic)

It's a red Lapierre RCR 100 with black handle bars with bull horns as above.

The few added additions include a black carrier on the back, black plastic mud guards, and a black bottle holder. The last time I saw it there were two empty light holders on the handle bars and another under the saddle.

The Bridewell Garda Station said they were telling a car to look out for it in an area (a man told me) the three that nicked it were headed towards. But even if the Garda are looking out for it I might as well start thinking about buying a new bike.

That's two bikes nicked in living in Dublin in just over two years, the first was nicked a week or two after moving up here. In fact it was in the same area so could have been the same little fuokers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I'll look out for it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

sorry to hear that.. , I've had a few nicked myself..

will keep an eye out too..

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

Commiserations monument. Never say never though when it comes to finding it; if you happen to see the chap who has "borrowed it" sure you can always give a good oul' clip on the ear. And keep an eye on buy and sell for it

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Sorry to hear about your bike being nicked. Good to post it here - maybe someone will spot it - it's a distinctive bike.

Would you tell us what lock you used? (so others can avoid buying / using similar)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Thanks all...
    Howitzer wrote: »
    Would you tell us what lock you used? (so others can avoid buying / using similar)

It was a normal / one of the smaller sizes cable locks, can't remember the brand. As I said above, it was only my secondly lock. One of the things annoying me the most (regarding my actions) is my primary lock was on the back of the bike and I didn't use it because I foolishly thought "I'll only be a min"! (there were a lot of things on my mind at the time)

I didn't see the ****ers who nicked it, but I spotted three young lads who fitted the limited description give by somebody who did and they had what looked like a bag of tools on them. So, they might broke that just as quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Even if they repaint it, notice the distinctive small front mudguard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Ill keep an eye out around town too. I know once a day or two passes you kinda assume its gone, but I had a bike nicked and someone spotted it 2 months later between the legs of some young knacker. Re-painted, but was distinctive, so hopefully the add-ons you put on will make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sorry to hear it, hopefully karma (and a knuckle sandwich) will sort those runts out.

I'll keep 'em peeled, fairly distinctive hybrid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Had the same bike stolen last year (with, I believe, the exact same mudguards on it). I had only had it two months :( Was stolen from right under a CCTV camera in Trinity which the guards said they'd check, but I don't think they even actually did.
    On the plus side I replaced it with my Trek road bike which I very much like - I also never leave it so poorly locked as I did with the LaPierre.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Monument, I sympathise. I had the same bike stolen about 3 months ago from outside work on Merrion Square. There must be a fleet of little knackers on them somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Sorry to hear that OP. What saddens me more is that the chances of you getting back (judging by previous posts here) are practically zilch.

There must be a demand for bikes on the black market - just wondering who the buyers are (I know we had previous posts about some dodgy "retailers") but wouldn't surprise me if these were ending up in the North or the Uk

Sorry again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

I had the same bike stolen about 3 months ago from outside work on Merrion Square.

Well we know now where monument got it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Húrin wrote: »
    Even if they repaint it, notice the distinctive small front mudguard.
    That is a Raceblade, they are quick release and pop off (not that uncommon either.) Sorry to hear about your bike Monument.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

I'm going to butt in here.... Having read this thread last Saturday,later that evening, by pure chance, I was in a carpark of a city centre apartment block where I noticed one of these bikes locked to a rail (mind you it was a cheap lock... if ye were all using these, they are easy to break I'd say).

monument- It was definitely bigger than the one in the picture. That's why I didn't bother posting on Sunday about it.

The one I saw was quite dirty, and had no mudguards. There was a cat-eye computer on the bars and a small front light. The carrier was still on it.

I took a few photos as I was quite excited to have spotted at the time! I had to shine the headlights of the car on it so they are not great. I can post them if ye want... maybe one of you will recognise it as being (:confused: formerly) yours. I even took one or two close-ups of what I'd call distinguishing features.

edit: PM me with an email address if you want the photos...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Collumbo by name, Collumbo by nature ! Good work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I had 2 or 3 bikes nicked from Trinity 10 YEARS AGO. It seems they still haven't sorted out a decent secure place to park bikes, disgrace. My bikes were stolen by the knackers living nearby in Pearse Street everytime, I used to even the little runts walking around openly looking at bikes!

It seems bike security is a huge problem. Where I live they use a metal stamping system on motorbikes and scooters which is administered by the cops. It engraves a govt. registered numbered stamp into all the plastic parts of the bikes. The bikes used to get shipped to China, it's cut back on theft by 30-50&

There are people making money out of this targeting higher end bicycles I reckon and as another poster said most likely they are going to the UK.

How about doing the same thing as above but for metal or placing RFID tags inside the frames of the bikes.... ??

Advertisement