Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What specifications must you meet to get any kinda visa?

Options
  • 07-11-2008 7:47pm

*Not fully sure if this is the right board or not, if not, sorry*

I was just wondering, how exactly do you go about getting a 'working
    holiday visa' (i think thats the name of it) for another country?

I have absolutely no idea about how any of this stuff works (if anyone knows of a site that will explain it in straight forward English that'd be great) and so decided to post here.

If i wanted to go to another country for a few months or a year (or however they do it) are there any particular specifications i must meet? Must be a student? must be worth x amount of money? etc. etc.?

Right now i have no interest in anything (quite literally). I'm 20, have no idea what i want to do with my life. I'm unemployed. In short, I'm pretty much just fed up, and thought i'd look into doing something like this to shake things up a bit for myself, but don't know if i could qualify to do these 'visa' related activities.

So yeah... can anyone help me out here?

Sorry for the completely clueless post.:(

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It all depends on what country you want to go to, the rules are different for each one. Best place to start looking is the embassy website for whichever country/ countries you might be interested in.

Of course within the EU, you don't need a visa at all so that would be easiest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

If you want an Australia or New Zealand working holiday visa you can check out some threads in the NZ/Aus forum. It's quite easy. I applied online for mine, it cost €65 and I got an e-visa in 3 days. I then produced this print-out when I arrived in NZ and they put a stamp in my passport. To get an aus or nz working holiday visa you only need to be under the age of 31 and "of good character". That is all.

What country are you looking to go to? You really need to be more specific as it is different for each one.

Thanks for the help thus far guys.

I never mentiond a country because i really don't know where i'd like to go. Is it possible to head to the US or Canada? (I think Canada is possible?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You'll want to have a bit of money saved up wherever you go until you find your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Maybe a quick forray into Europe to start? A few weeks to a month would do it. It's closer, so if it doesn't work out it's easier to get home, you don't need visas for EU countries and you'll get some experience if you want to try further afield.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »
    You'll want to have a bit of money saved up wherever you go until you find your feet.

How much would you recommend having? (I know, stupid question) A couple of thousand Euro i'd assume?

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Maybe a quick forray into Europe to start? A few weeks to a month would do it. It's closer, so if it doesn't work out it's easier to get home, you don't need visas for EU countries and you'll get some experience if you want to try further afield.

Hadn't thought of that.

Thats good advice alright, and i probably will do that. So for anywhere within Europe, you just need your regular old passport? Just book the flights and away you go for as long as you want? Or is there a set time limit you have to be back by? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thats good advice alright, and i probably will do that. So for anywhere within Europe, you just need your regular old passport? Just book the flights and away you go for as long as you want? Or is there a set time limit you have to be back by? :confused:

EU citizens can visit any other EU country for 90 days on a passport, no restrictions. You'll probably have to register offically if you want to stay longer when you get there, but that's usually just a formality.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Cheers man. Great help. thank you :)

Advertisement