Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring bikes on household policy

Options
  • 07-11-2008 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Folks, does anyone have their bike(s) covered under their household insurance? I was insured by Hibernian but my premium has just gone up by over a hundred brick for no good reason, so I'm looking elsewhere. I'm renting, by the way.

I looked at 123.ie but unless the bike is listed as a "specified item", for which it has to be valued at over €2k, the maximum for a bike is €317. It seems odd, but that's what their website says...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

You ring them after the policy is active and they add it. Might cost a bit more obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Most house/contents insurance is no good at all when it comes to bikes. My advice would be to join Cycling Ireland either as a member of a club or as an individual and in January take up the insurance they can offer you. It's with Hooper Dolan insurance, costs something like e125 and covers any single bike up to e7500 and any multiple of bikes up to e10,000. I can forward on details if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

My household insurance covers my bike as a listed item, didn't cost any extra I don't think. We have my bike and some items of jewellery listed specifically, everything else is just "contents".
    WIll get hold of the company name and post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Thanks - I might get back to you on that.
    CheGuedara wrote: »
    Most house/contents insurance is no good at all when it comes to bikes. My advice would be to join Cycling Ireland either as a member of a club or as an individual and in January take up the insurance they can offer you. It's with Hooper Dolan insurance, costs something like e125 and covers any single bike up to e7500 and any multiple of bikes up to e10,000. I can forward on details if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Cheers.
    dub_skav wrote: »
    My household insurance covers my bike as a listed item, didn't cost any extra I don't think. We have my bike and some items of jewellery listed specifically, everything else is just "contents".
    WIll get hold of the company name and post back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Prestige Underwriting have decent enough cover for bikes. Here's a copy of their policy booklet (I don't think it's changed since)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/151216/63412.JPG

Their prices did go up a couple of months ago as did most insurance companies but it's no harm in checking it out

It all depends on the value of the bike to see if it's worth while insuring as the excess is €250 and if a claim is made then you lose your no claims bonus.

Try Goggin Insurances at 01 8730600.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I took out AIB contents and listed my bike with them costs 150eur/annually (Inc th 10% off for having other products) & can pay monthly for no extra BUT my bike is only a 400eur commuter so not sure about someone with a 'real' bike!

EDIT + luckily I haven't had to claim (yet).. so no idea how the are to deal with..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Sorry it took me so long, I may have completely forgotten about this thread.

I'm with Jardine Lloyd Thompson Ireland, I'm with them on a group scheme in work, so not sure what their rates usually are, but they arte reasonable for us.

As I said, we have contents insurance and the bike is just a named item on that, we pay €150 p/y

Advertisement