Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Set to with motorist

Options
  • 07-11-2008 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the woman cyclyst give a stern dressing down to the woman driver at around 8:45 this morning at bottom of leinster road (rathmines end)..

just being nosey and wanted to know what kicked it off!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Cat fight?
    Pity just around the corner from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Cat fight?
    Pity just around the corner from me.

yep was a good one, got there too late to see what happened and just caught

cyclist: "You stupid bloody woman, how dare you beep at me../ just look out for cyclysts etc"
    <Rant for 2 mins>
    motorist (sheepishly): "but I cycle too"
    cyclist: "well you must be a sh!t cyclyst"
    <more fuming> etc

anyway, nothing major & glad no one was hurt..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That cyclist wouldn't last long in Italy.

I think all horns should be removed from Irish cars. No-one here seems to understand how to use them, or respond to them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

And they know how to use the horn properly in Italy?

el tonto wrote: »
    And they know how to use the horn properly in Italy?

Sorry, I was conflating two points.

In Italy they use the horn much more but people don't respond like someone just punched their toddler.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »

In Italy they use the horn much more but people don't respond like someone just punched their toddler.

I've no experience of driving in Italy, but Spanish use of the horn always amuses me. Hit a traffic jam and everyone just starts sitting on the horn. Used to always wonder why people thought it would make things move along quicker until I realised its just a way to vent frustration or even have a bit of crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

km991148 wrote: »

cyclist: "You stupid bloody woman, how dare you beep at me../ just look out for cyclysts etc"
    <Rant for 2 mins>
    <more fuming> etc
    I had a driver shoot out of Mountpleasant Road onto Charleston Road just in front of me the other night and beeped at me as I bore down on her door, crazy stuff. Dual headlamps including my new Fenix so it's not as if she didn't see me. In fairness I think she did it out of terror at this point with all the bright lights coming towards her window, she seemed a bit flustered.

Having said that in any altercation with a motorist I always start out civil and immediately accept any apology...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Lumen wrote: »

In Italy they appear to use the horn to alert you to their presence.
    Specifically, if you are being overtaken you might get a beep to let you know that they're there.

Here, it is usually used to demonstrate disapproval and may also be accompanied by colourful language which is probably why people (me included) react so strongly to it.

liamo wrote: »
    Here, it is usually used to demonstrate disapproval and may also be accompanied by colourful language which is probably why people (me included) react so strongly to it.

Yes, but I use it in the correct fashion, accompanied by polite gestures and language.

I still get treated like I just punched someone's toddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

el tonto wrote: »
    I've no experience of driving in Italy, but Spanish use of the horn always amuses me. Hit a traffic jam and everyone just starts sitting on the horn. Used to always wonder why people thought it would make things move along quicker until I realised its just a way to vent frustration or even have a bit of crack.

The best example of how to use a car horn italian-style is in the Italian job.

Woman stuck in gridlock - Sitting out the sun roof reading a book - foot on horn. Quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Polite use of a horn is immediately distinguishable from obnoxious use IMHO. In Spain and France (and indeed New York) drivers will often give a short pip as they overtake you (safely, leaving over 1.5m :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Add to that the fact that "impolite" beeping is normally accompanied by wild convulsions and much arm waving of the driver and any passengers. It's a dead giveaway.

I got this from some toolbag for sitting in a yellow box at a junction waiting to turn right. Its a particularly nasty turn and not one that can be done in one swift move since the idiot drivers treat one lane as two.

Flip the bird, that's normally my response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Freewheeling Ed

km991148 wrote: »

<Rant for 2 mins>
    <more fuming> etc

anyway, nothing major & glad no one was hurt..

aww, what a lovely small town we live in, that someone can see an agrument on the street, and get on the internet and find out what it was about ...

still.. would have like to seen it myself.. two women..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Yez are all a shower of pervs.

So, was the cyclist wearing lycra? Just wondering, you know, if she was a serious cyclist. Ahem.

I'll get me coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

aww, what a lovely small town we live in, that someone can see an agrument on the street, and get on the internet and find out what it was about ...

still.. would have like to seen it myself.. two women..

just something funny I seen on the way to work - no need for the sarcasm there! seen worse but like I say was just having a nosey!

Advertisement