Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Open Source DVD rental POS software

Options
  • 07-11-2008 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi all,
    I need to find a cheap, or even better free :D POS software that I can use to track DVD rentals.
    I don't have any knowledge of databases or programming in general and I need it yesterday so I simply need a readymade product.
    At the moment I'm using Excel which is a nightmare and a pain to maintain and simply does not meet my requirements. I need to be able to maintain the database easily and efficiently. I need to be able to run reports on late returns, sales, best rentals... I want to have automatic alerts as well as reservation capabilities.
    All the basic stuff you'd want from a POS but with the specific purpose of renting out DVDs.
    I have of course looked around the net but rather than picking one at random and be disappointed, I thought I would ask here if anyone had any suggestions. I need a good solid product but also good support since I am not a db programming wiz myself.
    Any suggestions welcome
    Thanks
    Marielle

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I cannot recommend any from experience but if you go to sourceforge.net and search for "video rental" this is what you get
    http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=video+rental

check out a few.. look for a good community supporting it (look in their forums and see how quick questions are answered etc), lots of downloads (more people looking means less bugs!) and a recent(ish) release (so you know the project is not dead!) and after that it's down to your own preference.

Advertisement