Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomend me a cheap NAS box

Options
  • 07-11-2008 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a cheap NAS box. Have a 1TB drive, but can't use it as mobo is dead, so looking for a cheap NAS box I can put the HDD into until I build the new rig. Cheap equals around the €100 mark.

The HDD going in, if it matters, is a Western Digital Caviar GP 1TB.

Like for it to have a gigabit Ethernet transfer rate, as I'll be transferring a fair amount onto it.

Finally, want NAS instead of external, as PC is sometimes switched off.

Saw a few cheap ones over on hardwareversand.de, but don't know one from the other, but the "D-Link DNS-313" looked nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Saw a few in Maplins, and got a ME-747K-SI.

The good:
    External: LAN port, USB2 port
    Internal: IDE & SATA connection. Comes with 4 pin power connection, but there was a converter in the box, from 4 pin, to the "¬" shaped SATA connection.

The bad:
    100Mbps*
    Had to install some software onto the machine, for it to see it over a LAN.

*note: the ME-747GK-S is SATA only, but can connect at 1000Mbps

=-=

Went for the connection over the network, and it works excellent. Able to play movies off it with ease. With the supplied software, it comes up with it's own drive letter. Would have prefered to have one with an FTP server interface, but meh, it does the job. Will need another new TB HDD soon, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Perhaps.

This guy is selling loads of different types. This is the first one i found.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=78497&cat=8

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭stylers

the western digital MyBook NAS box i set up recently worked a treat, Apparently I was supposed to use the software that WD supplied, but I thought fook that, so I went straight for the very nice and easy to use web based interface on it, just had to point me browser to the default IP address which was hidden somewhere in the pdf manual, and worked from there. Even seems to have user level security on shares, which may be useful. around 120 quid for the 500 gig version.
    Or if you have an old box lying around, stick the big hard drive in it and use the excellent nanoNAS or NASlite software to turn it into a NAS box.. does the job grand but not sure about gigabit card support..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Tagan Icybox IB-NAS4220-B

Sata, 2 bay, Gigabit, 2 usb ports for external HDs, Printers, memory keys.
    under €150 on komplett, elara etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Whatever you do, don't buy samsung f1's with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Aye. Say that in Maplins for €115, but they didn't have one. The ME-747K-SI is doing a nice job, but the 100mb is a bit slow. Took just under two hours to transerfer 8GB of stuff :( Meh. It'll do until I get a new rig (sometime around xmas, I hope).

Advertisement