Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front derailleur - DIY or bike shop for newb?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭

I have a triple on my commuter and the front derailleur is just not working right.

When on the biggest crank wheel (sorry I dunno what else to call it) the chain rubs off the derailleur constantly which is pretty irritating and probably means its taking energy away from the wheel too.
    Problem is when changing its fine..then it seems to ease back a bit after a few seconds and rubs away. There are two adjustment screws that I can see but have the one that moves it out as far as it will go to no avail.

Do I need a front dérailleur or does the cable need readjustment?
    How hard is it to do this myself if its home amendable. I'm a newb at bike maintenance but am willing to give it a lash if it isnt something that takes a lot of experience to do right.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Give it a go yourself, I find trial and error the best method for learning how to do bike maintanence yourself. You need to loosen the cable and then adjust the derailer with the adjusting screws. This might help http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-front-derailer/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

It's probably just the cable is stretched. Depending on the gear shift mechanism there may be an adjuster barrel to allow you to take up some of the slack in the cable which may solve your problem.
    Does it happen when the rear deraileur is in all positions, or just some combinations (and if so which ones?)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

First things first, are you sure you're not cross chaining? Because if it's only happening in a combination of the big ring in front and the biggerest few cogs at the back, then, especially with a triple, there's nothing you can do about that. Those combos aren't meant to be used.

If that's not the case, check whether the chain is rubbing on the inside or outside plate of the derailleur. If its the inside, then you need to actually adjust the limit screw to bring it back in a bit or use the trim function if your derailleur has it. If it's the outside, then you need to adjust the limit screw to bring it out a big. If you've got it out all the way, as you say, then perhaps the cable has stretched. Unscrew the fixing bolt, pull it tight, then try again.

Advertisement