Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to anaesthetic injections for Scale/Polish?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

I've got very sensitive gums, and gum disease which requires regular attendance at a hygienist (with the usual annual checkups at the dentist).

I'm not overly nervous as a patient (no more than most), but I can't have proper scaling done without anaesthetic - lots of it! As an example, to clean half of my mouth, I required one major injection block, plus 6 top-up injections because not everywhere had numbed. (the major injection can only be given by the dentist, the top-ups are done by the hygienist).

The last time I visited, the injection procedure was less than smooth (the dentist used numbing gel on my gums, then proceeded to inject at a different site - I had to be peeled off the ceiling!). And I had to go back 2 weeks later to have the other half of my mouth done, so was a bit of a wreck for the 2nd visit (which wasn't as bad, although it still took several injections).

To be honest, I'm reluctant to go through the whole procedure again - so bit of a catch 22 situation, because I know that if I went more often, there would be less cleaning to do!

I've read on some old threads here that anaesthetic by gas isn't really used in the high street any more - has it gone altogether? Would the twilight gas work as an anaesthetic, or is it (as I suspect) a bit like valium, just a relaxant?

Are there any options other than injections, used by dentists in the Louth/Meath/Dublin areas? Or even Newry direction?

Any advice most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 la_lunita

Hi folks,

I just wondered of anyone could offer some advice.

I'm living in Kells since July and I had been seeing and still am seeing a peridontist based in Leeson Street, Dublin. The hygienist that works in the same practice is the hygienist that is carrying out the deep cleans that my teeth require every 3 months.

It's a logistical nightmare getting there and it would be great to be able to attend a hygienist in the Meath are as opposed to going through a relatively stressful spin to and fro plus the cost of getting there and the cost of even parking the car is insanely expensive !

I've made various phone calls to practices around Meath but the reply that I get is that hygienists do basic cleanings.

I have recessive gum disease, it's fairly agressive, it's genetic and it's the type that settles a bit but it will never be cured so I'll be doing this forever. Hence trying to get a really excellent hygienist who is experienced with this type of disease would be really helpful.

I've had an operation on my front gum so there's a chunk of that missing too. One of my front teeth is an implant and I got peri implantitis which resulted in continuous infections and puss leaking, we tried to maintain it through cleanings but it wasn't responding at all; the rest of gums responded really well however.

God I sound like a horror case but it's really not that bad. I'm just looking for a way to maintain my gums and any advice re: hygienists in Meath would be great.

Thanks folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

la_lunita wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I just wondered of anyone could offer some advice.

I'm living in Kells since July and I had been seeing and still am seeing a peridontist based in Leeson Street, Dublin. The hygienist that works in the same practice is the hygienist that is carrying out the deep cleans that my teeth require every 3 months.

It's a logistical nightmare getting there and it would be great to be able to attend a hygienist in the Meath are as opposed to going through a relatively stressful spin to and fro plus the cost of getting there and the cost of even parking the car is insanely expensive !

I've made various phone calls to practices around Meath but the reply that I get is that hygienists do basic cleanings.

I have recessive gum disease, it's fairly agressive, it's genetic and it's the type that settles a bit but it will never be cured so I'll be doing this forever. Hence trying to get a really excellent hygienist who is experienced with this type of disease would be really helpful.

I've had an operation on my front gum so there's a chunk of that missing too. One of my front teeth is an implant and I got peri implantitis which resulted in continuous infections and puss leaking, we tried to maintain it through cleanings but it wasn't responding at all; the rest of gums responded really well however.

God I sound like a horror case but it's really not that bad. I'm just looking for a way to maintain my gums and any advice re: hygienists in Meath would be great.

Thanks folks

The issues you describe are not the type that a hygienist would carry out. If you are in danger of losing an implant/teeth and have had surgical procedures, you really should strongly consider continuing under the care of a periodontist.

Advertisement