Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under Floor Heating

Options
  • 06-11-2008 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭

Folks,

If this isnt in the right place please move.

We have ufh installed in our house. However we've simply been turning on, and turning off the main switch to heat the house.

What Im wondering is whether I should have the ufh turned on all the time and just timed between certain hours? There's nobody in the house until 6pm each evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What kind of UFH?
    Water from GSHP? Boiler?
    Dry electrical resistive type?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What kind of UFH?
    Water from GSHP? Boiler?
    Dry electrical resistive type?

Are there different types of ufh?
    Water is from an oil boiler.

As an absolute minimum you need a room thermostat & timer.

Assuming a water based system heating a cement screed floor, you should allow about two to three hours for the system to bring the place to temperature - that is dependent on how good the insulation is as well.

If you have a thermostatic mixing valve feeding the UFH then try to set it as low as possible, it's better for maintaining an even temperature in the house.

Having an oil boiler running 24/7 will just drain the tank quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Assuming a water based system heating a cement screed floor, you should allow about two to three hours for the system to bring the place to temperature - that is dependent on how good the insulation is as well.

If you have a thermostatic mixing valve feeding the UFH then try to set it as low as possible, it's better for maintaining an even temperature in the house.

Interested to know how does the thermostatic mixing valve work in a closed system: where does the 'cold' come from?

Hey there dolanbaker. We have stats in each room on the ground floor and can set the temp for each different stage. We also have a central control panel with 3 channels on it - Underfloor, Rads upstairs, and domestic hot water. I want to have all this set automatically so that I dont have to turn off the power at the switch and turn it back on again later when we need it. I was told the ideal setting for underfloor is to have it on from 4am to 9pm, and off from 9pm to 4am. If thats true then ill set it tonight.

• Advertisement

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Interested to know how does the thermostatic mixing valve work in a closed system: where does the 'cold' come from?

The mixing valve is between the buffer tank and the hot inlet of the manifold, the cold return is "tee'd" and feeds the cold inlet of the valve.
    The pump is between the valve and the manifold.
                           valve
    Tank(H) =======H-0===========manifold (H)
                    C
                    |
                    |
    Tank(C)=========T============manifold (C)

Hey there dolanbaker. We have stats in each room on the ground floor and can set the temp for each different stage. We also have a central control panel with 3 channels on it - Underfloor, Rads upstairs, and domestic hot water. I want to have all this set automatically so that I dont have to turn off the power at the switch and turn it back on again later when we need it. I was told the ideal setting for underfloor is to have it on from 4am to 9pm, and off from 9pm to 4am. If thats true then ill set it tonight.

If your timer has several "periods" I suggest you try 04:00 to 07:00 and 16:00 to 21:00 as a starting point, if you find it a bit cool, then set the "on" times earlier. If you have a weekend position on the timer then you can set it to be on all day, having it on all day in an empty house is just wasting energy.

If your timer has several "periods" I suggest you try 04:00 to 07:00 and 16:00 to 21:00 as a starting point, if you find it a bit cool, then set the "on" times earlier. If you have a weekend position on the timer then you can set it to be on all day, having it on all day in an empty house is just wasting energy.

Now thatd make more sense! Cheers. Ill set it for intervals as you mentioned above and then set it for the weekends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 HenBB

Hi whitelightrider
    What settings are you now using for your underfloor heating. I have just moved into a bungalow with only underfloor heating connected to an oil burner, no radiators. At the moment I have the UFH coming on for a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the evening with the temperature set to 40. I am wondering what are the optimum numbers of hours I should be running it for and the gap between these hours. Is twice a day enough or should I be running it for smaller periods more often during the day. I definitely think you don't need to run it all day. The heat is fantastic even in this weather, I probably need to switch the heat down now.

Advertisement