Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend A Cheap Waterproof Saddle for Commuter (Road) Bike?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I use a Fuji Track single speed bike as my daily commuter, I've had it for several years with no problems, other than one minor irritant.

The saddle is sponge and the covering has lots of small holes in.

Thus when it rains it soaks up all the water and when I sit on it I get all the water squeezed back into my trousers, not pleasant.

My solution thus far is to put a plastic bag over it on days when it might rain. This means I have a dirty plastic bag tied around the saddle post at all times and have to keep replacing it (at a whopping 22c a go) when it rips.

I was thinking it might just be easier to get a waterproof saddle.

Had a look in Cycleways but the saddles there are all very pricey.

Chainreaction cycles have some cheaper ones but I cannot tell if they are waterproof or not.

Has anyone any recommendations? I want to spend less than €30

I like the look of the brown one here, but it definitely seems to have holes in it:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Charge_Spoon_Cromo_Rail_Saddle/5360029530/

This one looks more suitable:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15824

Or something like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2239

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The Charge is a damn fine saddle, and certainly what I'd recommend(the first link)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

It certainly looks good alright, but it seems to have holes in it. I wonder is there a way to coat it in something to waterproof it?

Actually it these pics it doesn't look like there are holes in it:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/saddles/product/spoon-saddle-20145

Anyone have one of these and know for sure?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm pretty sure it's the one that comes as standard on the Charge Plug fixie, which Dub_Skav has, so he may be around. Also, a friend has the ladies version, and it's fine in the rain -doesn't suck up anything (and I think it's the same material as the the blokes). Sure get it, if it's not suitable, I'll take it off your hands :) (just ensure you get it in black)

Thanks, if anyone knows for sure let me know.

I'd be going for the brown one though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

do you take the plastic bag off when you get on the bike?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Could also look at Brooks - expensive but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Could you maybe take the saddle with you? Annoying I know but not as annoying as the wet feeling poking every nook and cranny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I have a Charge Spoon on my singlespeed. Don't worry: the holes are purely cosmetic - they don't allow any water in.

It's a really nice saddle, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I have a Charge lady saddle on my fixie and I love it. Very confortable and the rain does not get into the holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have two saddles- a Concept SL off a Focus and a Giant one off a Bowery, both quite light and racy looking like your Funn Skinny RL. Both brand new as I swapped off the bikes for Brooks. Certainly waterproof. Either yours for €15 if you like.

focus-cayo-08-med.jpgbowery.JPG

I know the spongy wet saddle type all right, I had one before and carried a plastic bag. With the Brooks I have gone quite upmarket and have a special Brooks saddle raincoat which lives in my saddlebag :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Think I'll go on the Charge Spoon in brown then.

Gets good reviews, looks nice, shouldn't let in any water.

Goodbye to soggy bottom hopefully.

Next up is the problem that the seatpost is well and truely stuck in place so I think I'm going to have to hacksaw it out to remove it, I want to raise the saddle height as well as adding new saddle.

This will not be fun I'd imagine, a friend who had the same problem said it took him many hours of work.

Any tips would be appreciated, am temptemed to go at it with a powertool but know I'll wind up chopping through the frame:)

Thanks again for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Excellent, Will have a read of that.

Have tried WD40 & Brute Force with no luck, it seems very solidly stuck, I think sawing will be required:(

Thanks again for all the help

Advertisement