Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

claiming mortgage interest relief

Options
  • 06-11-2008 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

I switched mortgage about two years ago and never received my mortgage interest relief. I have finally got around to claiming it and when I go online it asks about marital status. I recently got married but the mortgage is in my name alone and if I enter my wife's details it seems to think she is sharing it with me. Is it ok to to put single as marital status or is that tax evasion?

https://www.revenue.ie/trs/details.jsp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're married, you can claim your wife's TRS even if the mortgage is in your name.

If you're single and you have a mortgage in your name, you can't claim your partner's TRS.

It's in your own interests to put down "married".

Family assets and liabilities are pooled. Your wife *is* sharing your mortgage with you; She owns half of everything. Get used to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

thanks, on the second page of the online application it asks

"Is this your spouse's first homeloan? Yes No
    If no, when did you take out your first home mortgage loan?
    Month ('MM') (eg for Jan enter '01')
    Year ('YYYY') (eg '2000') "

and I'm unsure what to put there.

Unless your wife has had a mortgage elsewhere in her name, the answer is "yes".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

seamus wrote: »
    Unless your wife has had a mortgage elsewhere in her name, the answer is "yes".

thus making her the joint mortgage holder in the eyes of the government?

surely that would make her lose her first time buyer entitlement in the future,
    say if we decided to buy a holiday home or something?

thanks again :)

By virtue of her being married to you, afaik she has lost her FTB status. :)

Not 100% on that though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement