Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why go for Wavefront ??

Options
  • 05-11-2008 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi folks, I had a preconsultation with optical express on tuesday to see if i am suitable for the procedure. The price they quoted me is Lasek €1120 for each eye, €2240 in total. Wavefront is priced differently, €1400 right eye, €1,690 left eye (left eye is weaker) Right is -3.75, left -4.25.

My question is, is it worth spending an extra €850 for the wavefront. I am 38 and per the consultant, I will prob be needing reading glasses in my mid-40s anyway. I paid €300 as a down payment, but now Im wondering if i should go ahead with it at all. Thanks in advance for your advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

evie08 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I had a preconsultation with optical express on tuesday to see if i am suitable for the procedure. The price they quoted me is Lasek €1120 for each eye, €2240 in total. Wavefront is priced differently, €1400 right eye, €1,690 left eye (left eye is weaker) Right is -3.75, left -4.25.

My question is, is it worth spending an extra €850 for the wavefront. I am 38 and per the consultant, I will prob be needing reading glasses in my mid-40s anyway. I paid €300 as a down payment, but now Im wondering if i should go ahead with it at all. Thanks in advance for your advice
    Hi evie08

I also had a consultation with them and that was one thing I really disliked about them as well as a lot of these seemingly cheap places is the way they say "From €x per eye" meaning the worse your eye is, the more you pay! So there's all these hidden costs which is misleading to the consumer. Luckily, I'm getting my eyes done with Eye Laser Ireland who have set costs for everything (as well as a three year aftercare plan!)! Myself, I'm -5.5 in each eye and there a small scar from contact lens in my lower left and I was told I was only suitable for LASEK because my cornea is too thin for LASIK. Get this! They were quoting me bout €2000 per eye with the Wavefront CustomVue Treatment! And they don't accept VHI 15% discount either!!!

Well I think it would be wise to go from the Wavefront CustomVue LASEK because it gives a much more accurate reading on each eye and the results are generally better with less likelihood of having to get an enhancement. Take for example, ten people with a size 8 shoe. They all have the same shoe size but if you look at their feet, you will be seeing ten different pairs of feet, in fact you'd be seeing a difference between each foot on a pair. So you take ten people with the exact same prescription; you are looking at ten different pairs of eyes! So with this treatment, it is tailored for each individual eye so thus is more accurate!

Oh well it's a pity you already did a down-payment as they are generally non-refundable. I would have recommended another place with set prices which would be cheaper but you know you can claim tax relief of either 20% or 41%. Note: the higher rate won't apply in the next tax year so if you're getting the procedure done, get it done before 30 Dec if you can claim that rate. So that may be a bit cheaper.

As reading glasses are concerned, everyone's eyes worsen with age and that's inevitable whether you get laser treatment or not and some people may require reading glasses when they get older as many people naturally do.

Hope all that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 evie08

Hi UU,

thank you for your comprehensive reply. I appreciate what you mean about the downpayment, and generally I dont go for the sales pitch, but there "seemed" to be a shortage of days and I wanted to book a slot that suited me. I know I know....its part of the selling technique.

Overall I found Optical express very professional, if however, somewhat pushy.

I am with Hibernian, and can claim 30% back as well as my tax relief, so all in all, I think Ill take your advice UU and go for wavefront.

Again many thanks for replying.

Evelyn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Hi UU,

thank you for your comprehensive reply. I appreciate what you mean about the downpayment, and generally I dont go for the sales pitch, but there "seemed" to be a shortage of days and I wanted to book a slot that suited me. I know I know....its part of the selling technique.

Overall I found Optical express very professional, if however, somewhat pushy.

I am with Hibernian, and can claim 30% back as well as my tax relief, so all in all, I think Ill take your advice UU and go for wavefront.

Again many thanks for replying.

Evelyn
    Well you're lucky you're with Hiberian because Optical Express are one the only only places that give a discount for Hibernian. Anyway, I hope it all goes well! Let me know how yours goes because I'll be also getting mine done at the end of this month although mine will cost about €2600! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Wavefront is priced differently, €1400 right eye, €1,690 left eye (left eye is weaker) Right is -3.75, left -4.25.

They charge you more for one eye than the other because it's weaker?!? If your eye was -2 would it be cheaper? How can they justify that, it's not as if there is any extra work to be done just because one eye is weaker than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 evie08

Deadeyes wrote: »
    They charge you more for one eye than the other because it's weaker?!? If your eye was -2 would it be cheaper? How can they justify that, it's not as if there is any extra work to be done just because one eye is weaker than the other.

Yes deadeyes....seemingly all the advertisement you see for €595 is if you are -2 or under....good marketing pitch or what!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jonilz

do you know the difference bettween Lasek and Lasik ( http://www.the-lasik-directory.com/lasik_lasek_chart.html ) Always go for more than one opinion. Have you considered going abroad for treatment. South Africa is well known for some of the best eye and other surgeons and cost is way less. Just google cape town eye lazer
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

And how are you supposed to get to Cape Town on a regular basis for your check ups ? Add in your flights, accomadation and expenses and it's far from cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Why pay extra for the welfare your primary sense of your body?
    Seems like a no brainer to me.

Advertisement