Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When installing a headset cap...

Options
  • 05-11-2008 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

Make sure the cap is the right away around. Else the cap might get stuck in the steerer tube. Ahem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

pics !!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Well the cap is nearly in two pieces because I have attacked it with a file. So no pics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

What kind of force is required to get the headset cap INSIDE a steerer tube? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Is it still in there? You could use a piece of a brush handle to tap it out from the crown side of the steerer.

Star nut is probably in the way though

• Advertisement

Very true. forgot that bit.
    The steerer might be proper fooked now though, IIRC a steerer cap is wider than the stem so forcing it into the inside of the steerer may have weakened it. Better get that checked.

I was looking at it again today and I think it might just be the screw that's locked in and preventing the cap from being moved. There is a bit of movement off the cap. I have a hacksaw so I'm going to hacksaw through the screw and try and get the cap off that way - I don't think it's actually stuck in the steerer.

can you not just unscrew the screw (it's usually an allen-bolt yeah)? What exactly have you done?

I think we need pics:D

kenmc wrote: »
    can you not just unscrew the screw (it's usually an allen-bolt yeah)? What exactly have you done?

It won't unscrew. I think I might have wrecked the threads on the star nut.

• Advertisement

Do you live near Joe Dalys? He'll probably sort you out for free...after he stops laughing.

Hah. Nowhere near Joe Daly's.

I guess the lesson here is don't install bike parts with little/no light.

Sorry man, that was a low blow.
    If the star is knackered you could tap the wole lot out from below?

doubt it - the star is designed to resist upward movements (else the whole aheadset design would not work, cos you'd never be able to get the thing tight enough) - you can push it down from above all right - if you can get the cap off.
    I'd say to drill the allenhead off the bolt rather than try to hacksaw it to be honest. then you can push it down and out of the steerer.
    but first get plenty of lube down that bolt in case you can get it working again to screw it out.

Well the screw is turning, just not coming out. How would I drill it?

ok well if the screw is turning, you *may* be able to get it out if you have some way of pulling the screw upwards (like can you lever the cap up with something) so that as you screw it out it will bite on the threads and come out.

To drill it you'd need to have some way of stopping the screw from turning as you drill - -maybe you can hold it in a pliers or vice grips? Then just get a bit thats a small amount less than the head of the bold and drill down into the bolt - you'll eventually seperate the head from the shaft.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

...then you can push it down and out of the steerer.

Maybe I need pics to understand what's happening here, but how can you push something out the other end of the steerer? There's only one open end, the other has the forks attached to it. Or am I missing something here?

there's often a hole at the bottom of the steerer tube
    or worst case you can push the starnut down far enough into the tube that you can put a new one in the top of the steerer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

@tonto - some forks are like this

charge%20nozzle%20fork.jpg

there's often a hole at the bottom of the steerer tube
    or worst case you can push the starnut down far enough into the tube that you can put a new one in the top of the steerer.

I think that's what I'm going to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jollylee

It still doesn't solve the problem of the bolt turning and not unscrewing. Did you over- tighten it and wreck the threads in the star nut? I would have imagined that it'd still unscrew out.

Maybe you've damaged the star nut so that the threaded centre is turning. If the bolt is turning you won't be able to drill it out as it'll turn underneath the bit.

I'd say head to your local shop.

OK so I hacksawed the head off the allen bolt and the headset cap came straight off. I pushed the star nut down a good bit further. Measured up the stem + spacers and I needed to take about 5mm off the steerer. Got out the hacksaw, sawed 5mm off the steerer (I was 99% straight which is pretty good for me), installed the new star nut, added back in spacers and stem and headset cap, tightened everything up and now everything is hunky dory.

Advertisement