Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 8kg Road Bike Wanted

Options
  • 05-11-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

I have a friend looking for a sub 8kg road bike, anyone got one for sale or know where to pick on up?

Thanks

Tommy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

8Kg? Shouldn't be too hard to pick up! Arf!

I'll get me coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

Your friend may have to drop serious money.
    It will have to be a full carbon frame.
    I know that the Trek madone 5.2 is 7.2Kg, but costs €3,900.

The focus below is only 6.2kg, but costs £2,295.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Focus_Izalco_Team_2008/5360032362/

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

heres a nice aliminium from canyon 56cm frame, 7.65kg 1600euro. There are plenty of carbon fiber models in the outlet for sub 2000euro also.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/article.html?o=5884

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Junior

Freddy687 wrote: »
    Your friend may have to drop serious money.
    It will have to be a full carbon frame.
    I know that the Trek madone 5.2 is 7.2Kg, but costs €3,900.

I think it's a bit less, must weigh my one !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm amazed there hasn't been a trademark boards plug for the focus cayo yet?

It's only 8.05Kg too. Tell your friend to carry one less energy bar and he is sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

Hmmm, none of that sounds very helpful. He has an uber sexy giant bowery that he is willing to sell to me provided he can find a good racer first. What would be the main racing forums? Is there much chance of picking up a decent second hand one?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

8kg is light but not crazy light. Either way, you are talking about nearer the top end of the market rather than the bottom.

There are no real racing forums here in Ireland. Some of the road racing clubs would have bulletin boards on their sites, but they aren't very active. The triathlon scene though is probably a bit more active on the web, but a lot of those people would be riding TT bikes.

The second hand market for high end bikes here is pretty small to be honest. You'll see some bikes for sale here on Boards from time to time and also on sites like adverts.ie, gumtree and even eBay. After that its trawling the club websites and some of the shops, namely those who are frequented by the road racing crowd, who would get stuff in from time to time. In short, you'd want to be very lucky to pick something up quickly.

It would help to say what size bike you're looking for and what your budget is. You never know, if someone is planning on selling something, they may bite.

Advertisement