Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brakepads fitted for a Clio - Recommendations

Options
  • 05-11-2008 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Need to get an idea of how much (roughly) should it cost to get a set of brakepads fitted on to a 99' Clio. And any recommended garages would be nice also.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

A set of brake pads is about 30e and they are not too hard to fit

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Yep around €25-€35 for brake pads (depending on make), another €8 for Copper slip grease and some brake fluid €15. Takes around 30 minutes, using basic tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Took some photos of the left and right front brake disks. Would anyone be able to tell if they're badly worn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

macroman wrote: »
    Yep around €25-€35 for brake pads (depending on make), another €8 for Copper slip grease and some brake fluid €15. Takes around 30 minutes, using basic tools.

Why do you need brake fluid? You just take the wheel off, take the caliber out, change the pads and put things back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

op,
    any garage will charge ya double what it would cost to do it yourself
    It doesnt say but there's a guy near me who does em for 50euro i think.
    Its a garage called the emo garage on the N3 near Dunboyne. Never personally used him but i have heard good things about him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Don't bother doing it yourself unless your positive about what you are doing,it is your brakes after all.Safety first :)

Can't really tell from the pictures.You need to be looking in at the back of the caliper,lock the steering wheel fully to the right and you will be able to check the left wheel and vice versa.
    As a general rule of thumb there shouldn't be more than a 2mm lip on your disc.Run your finger from the middle of the disc out over the edge and see if you can feel if the lip would be more than 2mm (easy if you know what your doing).Make sure discs are cold,remember safey first :D

Oh and as said above most spurious (non genuine) pads will be around €30,more for genuine ones.
    Labour will start at approx €50 but will vary widely depending on where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

stepbar wrote: »
    Took some photos of the left and right front brake disks. Would anyone be able to tell if they're badly worn?
    Theres plenty of pad anyway. Seems there is a bit of a lip on the disks alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

itarumaa wrote: »
    Why do you need brake fluid? You just take the wheel off, take the caliber out, change the pads and put things back together.

You may well need brake fluid. I certianly wouldnt start the job without some fluid. I like to open the bleed screw and let the fluid out when pushing back piston, therefore not pushing fluid backways through the system which could damage various seals.
    So if you push the piston in all the way, fit the new pad, you will need to pump pedal a few times to force pads against disc again. this means some fluid is taken from reservoir and so will need topping up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There does seem to be at least half wear left on pads. Hard to tell with the discs but probably another set of pads in them. Why are ya getting pads right now? Unless the inside pads are worn due to a siezed slider or something

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

Speaking as a professional Technician in the motor industry (who cant spell very well), theese types of topics/posts are ridiculas and dangerous...and should be banned in my opinion!! Alot of the advice givin in theese types of posts are sketchy at best, and the general tone would leed the average Joe to believe motor vehicle maintainance is a simple one two buckle your shoe affair! Leave your cars brakes alone unless you know exactly what you are doing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm really only looking for a second opinion. I have no intention of replacing the pads myself.

The reason why I'm thinking the pads are worn is when I slow down, I can hear a mild screeching noice (as far as I'm aware that's a sign the pads need to be replaced).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

theese types of topics/posts are ridiculas and dangerous...and should be banned in my opinion!! Alot of the advice givin in theese types of posts are sketchy at best, and the general tone would leed the average Joe to believe motor vehicle maintainance is a simple one two buckle your shoe affair! Leave your cars brakes alone unless you know exactly what you are doing

average joe - that would be me :)
    i would attempt lots of DIY on my car but am always wary about the brakes.
    so i would completly agreee

Advertisement