Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Long, long ago .... roach and perch in Quarry lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Which one is that?

Just thought up a challenge for you there coolwings, Catch 3 species on any given body of water, trawling a home made spoon from an RC helicopter blindfolded in a float-tube simultaneous reciting every CFB by-law alphabetically as gaeilge.

think about it!

Quarry Lake: 2/3rds of the way towards Castleknock from the Zoo end, it's the one on the left just before the crossroads, behind a copse of trees.

That challenge ... dead easy for some anglers I know, you know, the ones who catch 5 twenties in a day regularly.
    (Funny how mine seem to weigh 19 3/4 ! ) :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Had about 25lbs of good Rudd out of the one (Cannot remember it's name) opposite the Dog Pond in the early 80's. The two ponds near the Castlenock end. The one with the sunken trees in. Some clonking carp in there....seen them cruising among the trees one morning. Used to fish it at dawn.
    Have or used to have a pic of a mate with an 18lb. mirror out of the pond across the road from the Polo grounds, that the one near the cricket area? But had the picture..........he caught it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

i have had a few carp from that pond, years ago though. the last time i was there it looked so overgrown and choked that i dont know if there is still a stock of fish.

the best i had was 16lbs, which was the second biggest behind a fish i estimated at 18-19 which may have been your mates fish. most fish on floating crust, one of popped up lob on on flaoting maggots. none on boiles, particles or paste

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

It's a bit disappointing that the outcome of the CFB analysis of the ponds in the Phoenix Park appear not to have been published. Incidentally, can anyone fish those ponds or are permits required?

I was never asked to produce a permit, or to move.
    Everything we caught was returned, and the rangers were aware of that.
    But that was several years ago so things might have changed.
    You could call the Phoenix Park authorities and ask.

being a semi state body i would be pretty sure that the fisheries board would release the report to you (assuming one was ever written) if you submit a request. do it in writing so they would have it on record.

the rangers used to come over to see how we were doing, they didnt have a problem with use fishing once they could see we were not littering/killing fish/drinking etc

the pond in the furry glen has some decent perch. fish the margins with slider and chopped worm or maggot over groudnbait and sprayed maggot. the better roach often seem to be out in the central area and will pick up feeder fish corn or caster over caster and hemp.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭oppiuy

evening all, a little bit of a bump here.. walking in the park this evening down by the chapelizod gate i saw a few kids fishing in the lake/pond down there. I think one pulled out a Rudd. Would ye know if there's much in there or anything of any size. Would mind giving it a go if there's some tench in there

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭fiacha

Used to be great fishing in all the ponds. Overfishing and pot hunters have destroyed it.

F.

• Advertisement

wheres the big lake everyones talking about.. tried to find it this evening but nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

oppiuy wrote: »
    wheres the big lake everyones talking about.. tried to find it this evening but nothing

Think it's the one if you drive past farmleigh and past the turn for strawberry beds exit, follow the road around as if you were going to chapelizzod. It's on your right hand side down a steep hill

oppiuy wrote: »

Its the furry glen lake I think, try Google maps you will find it.

Id say thats the one im on about. Looks like theres a bit a cleaning work going on there at the moment. Goona nip down early one morning and give it a try. Any tench lurking in there

Yep there is clearing work there at the moment.

Have heard rumours of tench but never had any. Mostly seems to be small roach, perch and some eels. I had one small carp out of it years ago - 8oz (the ERFB put a few in I was told) but thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lee hardy

I was going to go up tommorow , I have never fished the Phoenix park before so I'm not formilliar with it and I was wondering of you have any tips .

hardy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

i saw a chap fishing in here recently as i jogged past, didn't look like someone to put fish back unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

AnneFrank wrote: »
    i saw a chap fishing in here recently as i jogged past, didn't look like someone to put fish back unfortunately

Oh yes? You can tell by looking at someone now? Marvellous powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Oh yes? You can tell by looking at someone now? Marvellous powers.

Not being funny - but you'd be right most of the time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

The rangers dont let you fish there anymore. my friend and his son got thrown out last month. too many people killing fish and leaving rubbish and cans on the bank. they also caught two non nationals with a net across the furry glen during the summer. its a sad state of affairs when people cant go fishing because of arseholes who ruin it for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The most I ever fished for were pinkeens in the duck pond but even they are now gone:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

There used to be some really good carp at the pond opposite the zoo. But over time They declined and suffered badly with fin rot. I don't think there are any left at all. But had some really nice fish out of it 20 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

The most I ever fished for were pinkeens in the duck pond but even they are now gone:(

I would recommend the very lovely cafe in farmleigh house pond, it is in a boat shed style overhangs a corner of the pond where you can feed the minnows your crumbs off your plate.

A little piece of heaven imho

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I've only been fishing 6+ months, but I cut my teeth on the fury glen during this summer. I am a huge advocate of catch and release quickly to cause as little stress as possible.

It's more young lads in tracksuits who are killing the small roach and using them as dead bait, Pity.

I've had a session of 10 roach and 7 perch. The roach get hand sized at the biggest. Perch are tiny in there.

Also tried my hand with spinning and landed a 24" pike.

430135.jpeg

430136.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

That is a cracking perfect roach and pike from such a small pond, I plan on fishing it myself before Xmas might bump into you on the bank, I prefer lure fishing as less chance of deep hooking the fish,

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

jme2010 wrote: »
    I've only been fishing 6+ months, but I cut my teeth on the fury glen during this summer. I am a huge advocate of catch and release quickly to cause as little stress as possible.

It's more young lads in tracksuits who are killing the small roach and using them as dead bait, Pity.

I've had a session of 10 roach and 7 perch. The roach get hand sized at the biggest. Perch are tiny in there.

Also tried my hand with spinning and landed a 24" pike.

430135.jpeg

430136.jpeg

Is there really pike in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

lordlame wrote: »
    Is there really pike in there?

I've caught pike in places they shouldn't be. Seen them in corkagh park in clondalking and caught one. Seen two in Tymon park aswell. People are catching them and putting them in. In a small park pond or lake they'll eat everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭fiacha

Pike have been in that pond since I started fishing there over 30 years ago. Regularly saw fingerlings, caught a couple of 1-2 lbs jacks and never saw anything over 5-6 lbs in the water. The fishing there was very good back then, the pike didn't seem to have any impact on the number and size of bait fish. I caught a number of Perch over 3lb and saw plenty of decent Rudd and Tench come out of it. I had a decent stock of small Common and Mirror carp at one stage. They were regularly moved into the Park from other waters by carp anglers. The decline there has as much to do with people taking fish for bait / food as an over abundance of any particular predator.

I suspect the size of the water and other predators help keep the pike numbers in balance.

Stopped fishing the Park over a year ago due to the Rangers actively enforcing the "No fishing" byelaws for the first time in my experience. Got told to leave every other session so admitted defeat and stopped going back. Had some amazing fishing in the Park ponds over the years.

Advertisement