Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

v. tricky frame bracket on lock

Options
  • 05-11-2008 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

I had to get a kryptonite evolution lock from CRC, price was decent and I went for the biggest, the 11.5cm.

there is a (somewhat) smaller one - at 9cm but I reckon the weight wouldn't be much lower (I note Kryptonite do not seem to publish the weights of their locks).

But what really seems badly done is the bracket. It doesnt feel the strongest, but worst it sets the lock off at some 3 cm from the frame ... upon which (of course ... as you may expect ... in reading this _story_) mine doesna fit on seat tube. When I say fit, the lock also needs a good deal another 3cm of clearance to in.

Even if I had a 25 frame bike (which would give it all the space it needs, I'd still be worried about the the strength of the bracket.

In a word ... it seems ... unworkable (taking my 21.5inch frame into account). Or in two words, quite dissatisfying.

So where to put it? Backpack, yes (hello sweaty back!). On the back rack, this is the most plausible.

Another option is to come up with a home made solution. A bit better than a duck tape or tiewrap one.

Has anybody successfully dealt with a similar problem?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You could get one of these

sku_12000_1_small.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000

Attach one side to the frame, the other to the lock and hang it from the top tube. May or may not be good depending on the weight of the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

(slaps forehead)

Verb, you're a genius.

I finally received my Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit lock yesterday; it didn't come with a frame clamp.

Today I ordered a three-pack of twofish lockblocks (similar to what you posted) for my front light(s).

I probably would've kept a spare lockblock in the shed for months without that idea occurring to me. I am an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Lumen wrote: »
    Verb, you're a genius.

Well, I don't like to brag.. but yes, yes I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

stabu wrote: »
    I had to get a kryptonite evolution lock from CRC, price was decent and I went for the biggest, the 11.5cm.

there is a (somewhat) smaller one - at 9cm but I reckon the weight wouldn't be much lower (I note Kryptonite do not seem to publish the weights of their locks).

But what really seems badly done is the bracket. It doesnt feel the strongest, but worst it sets the lock off at some 3 cm from the frame ... upon which (of course ... as you may expect ... in reading this _story_) mine doesna fit on seat tube. When I say fit, the lock also needs a good deal another 3cm of clearance to in.

Even if I had a 25 frame bike (which would give it all the space it needs, I'd still be worried about the the strength of the bracket.

In a word ... it seems ... unworkable (taking my 21.5inch frame into account). Or in two words, quite dissatisfying.

So where to put it? Backpack, yes (hello sweaty back!). On the back rack, this is the most plausible.

Another option is to come up with a home made solution. A bit better than a duck tape or tiewrap one.

Has anybody successfully dealt with a similar problem?

Cheers.
    The small one fits nicely in a back pocket...too late now i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Sean_K wrote: »
    The small one fits nicely in a back pocket...too late now i suppose.

That's what I do with mine!

• Advertisement
Advertisement