Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cassettes and Skewers

Options
  • 05-11-2008 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Right, first off, does anyone reckon that these are individually priced, or a set?

Second, I need a cassette recommendation-Shimano compatible... I currently have a 12-27, and spin out sometimes, so want 11 as my smallest cog... should I go 11-27, or 11-25 or something to get a tighter range with fewer jumps? SRAM or Shimano? What do ye suggest?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It says "skewers" so I'm inclined to think the plural means they're sold in pairs.

11-27 is a big spread. If you're using a compact 34/25 should be more than enough of a granny gear. I'd go 11-25.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It was mentioned before, but if you are spinning out on descents, it's time to work on your tuck and gain speed that way. That said, I'm running 12-27 at the moment, but I'm considering putting it back to 11-25.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    It was mentioned before, but if you are spinning out on descents, it's time to work on your tuck and gain speed that way. That said, I'm running 12-27 at the moment, but I'm considering putting it back to 11-25.

It's not so much descents, I'd just like a bigger gear to push on the flat!

I've ordered this cassette, these skewers, this wrench, and finally, a set of these wheels!

Can't wait for it all to arrive now... hope I've not forgotten anything! (tyres I already have)

As an aside, cracking deal here 318 down to 192 for a bike box!

It's not so much descents, I'd just like a bigger gear to push on the flat!

EEP! I get nowhere near the biggest gear on the flats :(

EEP! I get nowhere near the biggeset gear on the flats :(

You don't need to cos you're a climber mate! with a compact chainset, and my big ol sprinters legs, I'm in my biggest gear most of the time on the flat!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I only ever got down to the 12 tooth when I was descending when I had a compact. You must be some masher.

How does that wrench work? Does it replace both the chainwhip and the lockring tool? I'm confused.

el tonto wrote: »
    How does that wrench work? Does it replace both the chainwhip and the lockring tool? I'm confused.

I think you just whack the cassette with it until someone with the right tool comes along and does it for you.

I only ever got down to the 12 tooth when I was descending when I had a compact. You must be some masher.

I am indeed a masher... working on spinning more though!

It appears to replace both lockring and chainwhip, but I have a lockring tool just in case!

Weird that the Fulcrum Wheels come without skewers. Campagnolo (who own Fulcrum) always provide skewers with their wheels.

Weird that the Fulcrum Wheels come without skewers. Campagnolo (who own Fulcrum) always provide skewers with their wheels.

Maybe they do, but it's not specified, so for the sake of 20 euros I'll get some to be sure (and the fact that they're titanium helps too! :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

They almost certainly come with skewers, basically all wheels come with skewers.

That is a cheap price for Ti skewers of that sort of weight, let us know if you do in fact get two- I'd tend to think based on the price it must be only one but then it seems unclear where you might select size and colour.

blorg wrote: »
    They almost certainly come with skewers, basically all wheels come with skewers.

That is a cheap price for Ti skewers of that sort of weight, let us know if you do in fact get two- I'd tend to think based on the price it must be only one but then it seems unclear where you might select size and colour.

Yeah, it seems almost too good to be true, but sure we'll see!

Looking here, it would seem that the price is per pair, but the following may concern me a little:
    "These are most suitable for downhill and disc brake applications"
    -is there much difference between road and mtb skewers? Have I order the totally wrong thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I noticed "disc brake components" written on the skewers all right. The rear spacing on a MTB is different - 135mm rather than 130mm. Not sure if you can use a rear MTB skewer on a road bike, you may be able to just with 5mm protruding?

Tiny, just get your Cervelo!

If they aren't suitable and if the Fulcrums don't come with skwewers, you can always just use the skewers from your old wheels.

He's building it up bit by bit, starting with skewers.

I have a few dust caps lying around the house. I'll donate them.

Yup, that's how it's happening alright... skewers and a rear cassette first!

Got to start with the wheels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

blorg wrote: »
    I noticed "disc brake components" written on the skewers all right. The rear spacing on a MTB is different - 135mm rather than 130mm. Not sure if you can use a rear MTB skewer on a road bike, you may be able to just with 5mm protruding?

is there is a risk that there will be no thread where you need it 5mm further in????

• Advertisement

barrabus wrote: »
    is there is a risk that there will be no thread where you need it 5mm further in????

Sure it's only 20 bucks, and I'm sure there's a MTBer on here who'll fancy them if they don't work!

Advertisement