Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with presentation?

Options
  • 04-11-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, I'm doing a presentation on Irelands Recession.....:(

i need ideas as to what angle i should go at it from.... it only has to be a ten min presentation so if anyone has any ideas at all..... please help me.... im so stressed...... thanks:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

JenCouture wrote: »
    Hi, I'm doing a presentation on Irelands Recession.....:(

i need ideas as to what angle i should go at it from.... it only has to be a ten min presentation so if anyone has any ideas at all..... please help me.... im so stressed...... thanks:)
    What type of audience are you presenting to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JenCouture

its just for college a class of 30... It's only worth 15% of my grade but i really need to get a distinction to get into DCU... I'm working on it as we speak and so far i just have a basic overview of our economy in 1983's recession and how we came out of it...I'm really boggled as to where i should go with it...

It could be an idea to spend about a minute talking about where the boom came from, was the expansion post 2002 artificial in a sense, would the deterioration in public finances have been as bad had there not been the global financial crisis, an overview of periods where governments effectively ignored the deteriorating fiscal position and the consequences (are they doing that now?), our current and possible position a year from now compared to the late 1980s, et cetera.

In regards to the 1980s it would probably be a good idea to focus on the fact that successive governments increased taxes but the situation did not improve. Alan Dukes' budget in 1983 was quite hard on tax increases yet it didn't noticeably improve the current budget deficit. 1986 saw current budget deficits of 8.6% of GNP and an exchequer borrowing requirement of 12%. Debt to GNP ratio being at around 128%. 1987 budget had cuts in public spending, public sector pay freeze, embargo on public sector recruitment and the tax burden increased by nearly 10%. Then we had the budget of 1988 with the famous Tallaght Strategy, with a 3% cut in government spending and the money raised from the tax incentive scheme to get people to announce unpaid taxes, with a reform of self-assessment income tax.

Even after all the cuts we had a kind of "expansionary fiscal contraction", whereby we defied basic Keynesian thought. The government dropped expenditure yet the economy had a small boom, there's a paper on that by Pagano and Giavazzi.

You could also look up the CSO and track the construction sector as a percentage of GDP/GNP over the last 6-7 years. I'm sure it would be a popular move to bash on property developers given the current economic condition. Also, whether the government should have created a stabilisation fund with the large surpluses we had, if the government were too dependent on stamp duty to fund their election manifesto.

Maybe you could then end with the latest forecasts for growth in 2009 and what you think are the most likely outcomes. I hope some of that is coherent :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

are you looking at the causes of the recession itself or how we worked our way out of it? quite a few good books and papers on it but most of the ones i can think of would be from the perspective of the causes of the Celtic Tiger rather than looking at the recession itself.

:D Thank you so much.

• Advertisement

JenCouture wrote: »
    :D Thank you so much.
    I forget to mention that the sources for any of those figures would be Walsh and Leddin The Macroeconomy of the Eurozone. Also, Brendan Walsh and Patrick Honohan's paper Catching up with the leaders: the Irish Hare, Brookings Institute, 2002.

are you looking at the causes of the recession itself or how we worked our way out of it? quite a few good books and papers on it but most of the ones i can think of would be from the perspective of the causes of the Celtic Tiger rather than looking at the recession itself.

em, well my brief states "Recession" in general so i could talk about any aspect or just focus on a specific area. I origianlly wanted to speak about coming out of the 1983 recession and how we found ourselves back in it... I'm a late 90's baby so I'm not all that familliar with the old recession do you know of any good websites or books? the UCD ECON guy gave me another really good train of thought... I guess I'm just getting tired at this stage

Advertisement