Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a board

Options
  • 04-11-2008 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hey,

Im thinking of buying a skateboard because of seen so many people with boards lately and curious to see how it feels. Also want to see if it helps with balance and co-ordination for other sports.

Where is a good place to buy one and how much to spend? Obviously I just want something to try out but I don't want a piece of crap that will fall apart, and to be honest I don't know if you buy them in toyshops or where...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

where do you live?
    ,skate city in temple bar G1 on oconell st the boardroom in greystones and wreckless in Gorey are some of the best skate shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Do you've any friends that skate? Coz if you just want to try it out it'd probably be better to borrow one of their boards seeing as getting a good quality complete skateboard will probably set you back a bit, and then if it's not for you you'll be at quite a loss. Whatever you do don't get an argos or smyths skateboard, and if you are buying one yourself to try out, try get a shop deck, etc. It'd probably be cheaper and still good quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 manofthemoment

None of my friends skate. I'll probably buy it in Dublin. How much should I spend on one?

Considering you're in dublin, have a look at this http://www.g1skatesupply.net/catalog/index.php

Personally I buy my stuff online as its a helluva lot cheaper. I use http://www.blackholeboards.com real cheap(especially with the week dollar), fast shipping and great customer service. It all depends on what you want. I got a full pro set up for 100 euro, which would probably cos over 200 euro here looking at prices on the G1 website. Prices in Ireland are ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Terz

i would say buy online but skate city dublin or tubes in cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AmericanDonegal

Ireland,

As an "american 70's clut skating board" star from America...

I was a "skate phenom" in the mid 1970's...

But I used a GREEN KRYPTONICS skateboard...

It was HIGH DENISTY PLASTIC sandwiched between a FOAM CORE with RUBBER POLYURETHANE BUMPERS...

It was AWESOME DUDES!!! :)

It had flex and give...

Important for TURNING and CARVING on the streets...

Skateboarding's real name is STREET SURFING not "skatebaording"...

And many have "long street boards" in NEW YORK CITY...

They are for STREET CRUISING, CARVING, TURNING and "Street Surfing"...

WOODEN BOARDS are "no good"...

They have to CUT DOWN TREES for SKATEBOARDS...

TREES are "sacred"...

You shouldn't cut down a tree for a "skateboard"...

Only "skate punks" like "Tony Hawk", "La Bam" and "Andy MacDonald" ride "wooden boards"... AND PROMOTE THE DEATH OF THE EARTH BY CUTTING DOWN ALL TREES and PROMOTE "skate punk" behavior like PUBLIC PLAZA TERROR SKATING, BENCH RIDING, STAIR JUMPS of BROKEN BONES and RAIL GRINDING... ITS "NO GOOD"... :)

Bring back boards like the HIGH DENSITY FOAM CORE RUBBER BUMPER - GREEN KRYPTONIC SKATEBOARDS..

They are better for riding...

They are better for the environment...

And they ARE HI-TECH SKATEBOARDS...

THEY COULD LEAD TO "OTHER INDUSTRIES..."

The brand name "Kryptonic" still exists...

But they only sell wooden boards now...

They must have sold the brand name and went out of business...

THOSE BOARDS were BASED ON SURFBOARD MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY with THE FOAM CORE...

That's how I got my "Super Skate Boarding Powers" :) <HINT>

Mick The Stick - 70's Skating Phenom of the East Coast of the U.S.A

John J. McMonagle
    Bayonne, N.J. 07002
    Henry Harris School - The Opposite of La Jolla and Venice Beach in 1970's.

REMEMBER - ALWAYS "GO WITH THE FLOW" when skating boarding... IT'S ZEN!

I'm sure most skaters are educated enough to know their skating history.

Also, you can buy fibre glass decks. And metal ones, but I hear they're pretty crap.Think I'll stick with wood.

And that post seems very spam-botic...

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

to see a full catalogue just click into the online shop to see irelands most uptodate skate shop

website is updated daily and postage is next day anywhere in Ireland. :D

all the latest news and info from around the country too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sk8ter girl

G1 is the best for skateboards i got mine for 120euros wit the full spec everything!!it usualy wud cost 250euros but i goh mine for less:Dit is ******* deadliy!!i wasnt able to do any tricks on the 1 out of smyths but knw i can do loads it the best:p:o

G1 id deadliy i got my skateboard out of der it was deadily i got the full spec everything for 120euros wen it is usally 250euros :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

G1 etc are great if your buying a decent borad but from what i got from your post OP I'd say go to a toy shop and spend €20 on a crappy board that way if you feel you want to get into it a bit more you can spend the money but if you feel like its not your thing all you spent was €20 and not €120

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

OP says they don't want a piece of crap that will fall apart, a €20 skateboard is exactly that.

G1 offer a cheaper range of things, still expencive but a good board will be just that.
    The way i see it, you're not going to get the feel for skateboarding on a cheap board, you'll just feel like you're on a cheap board, if you really want to try it out then you'll be spending some one, but if you're only doing it because every one else is, then i wouldn't waste the money.

Skating is amazing though, every one should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

Thats true, let's just forget about what I said :rolleyes:

i got the board bcoz it will last longer and u dont have to go buying new 1s and P.S=wats the point of buying a crapy skateboardc in smyths?????(-_-)???:pac:

Advertisement