Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is a dissertation marked, who marks it.

Options
  • 04-11-2008 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

how is a dissertation marked and who marks it?? would love to know. Its from trinity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

wordcount wrote: »
    how is a dissertation marked and who marks it?? would love to know. Its from trinity.

It's usually your supervisor, plus a second opinion by another lecturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

One internal examiner, one external examiner. Not your supervisor. Or so sayeth the College Calendar Part II, the definitive source on postgrad study in TCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

In DCU we differentiate between a Dissertation and a Thesis, where a dissertation is from a taught course (usually MSc, but could be final year project, grad dip, etc.) and a Thesis is from a research degree. The marking of both is different. A Dissertation has 2 internal staff members as examiners, whereas a Thesis has 1 internal and 1 external, but the externals voice carries more weight. In either case no supervisor involvement in marking.

As for "How its marked".... well that depends on the institution and its rules, which must be freely available. It essentially comes down to scholarly merit. A good (crude) yardstick is this... an MSc must demonstrate critical analysis and a PhD must demonstrate original thought and contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

:) Obviously the Institutes of Technologies do things differently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Depending on the college in question, most masters dissertations are marked by one internal examiner (which can be your supervisor) and one external examiner. If it's a PhD you will probably have a panel: your supervisor, one internal examiner and one external examiner. Subject area will also probably have a bearing on how it's marked, but as H2G2 said, there is a different focus required for a masters dissertation and a PhD thesis. Most colleges/universities publish thesis guidelines which advises students as to what's required from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭wordcount

claire h wrote: »
    One internal examiner, one external examiner. Not your supervisor. Or so sayeth the College Calendar Part II, the definitive source on postgrad study in TCD.

Can the internal examiner be your supervisor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Mine was marked by my supervisor, a second internal examiner, and an extern. That was in UCD though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I'm not sure if the TCD Calender explicited says that your supervisor can't act as your internal supervisor, but if it doesn't it should. The supervisor shouldn't have a say on how it's marked - it should be an objective assessment from people not connected with the work.

For my Ph.D. the internal examiner was from my department, while the external was a recognised expert in the field. My supervisor sat in on the viva, but only as an observer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

My supervisor in Trinity was adamant that he wasn't going to be my internal examiner. I thought he was just being coy about it or else joking with me - but um, he was actually right.

Have you actually asked your supervisor if they're going to be marking it? It may differ depending on the department that you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

rain on wrote: »
    Mine was marked by my supervisor, a second internal examiner, and an extern. That was in UCD though.

+1

• Advertisement

Thats good information thanks a lot folks. How long from when you submit to when you hear back in terms of results?

Stargal wrote: »
    Have you actually asked your supervisor if they're going to be marking it? It may differ depending on the department that you're in.

Yes he told me that someone else was marking it and it would be looked at by an external too. Althought I also just thought he was being coy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Frank007

How much is it to repeat a master thesis in dit?

Advertisement