Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Short Term Insurance

Options
  • 04-11-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello,

Planning on traveling home to Ireland for 2 weeks in the next few months. I emailed Axa about Insurance and they told me that I couldn't get a short term insurance policy. One of the lads has a car he isn't using so I'm hoping to get insured on that for the two weeks.

Does anyone know of companies that does short term insurance?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

just take out a years policy and cancel it after the 2 weeks. give them some bull about unexpected circumstances and you have to leave the country etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

I'm pretty sure you can't mate. Minimum policy in your own name is for 12 months in Ireland across the board with all insurers.

Your best bet is to get named on someone else's car for the time your here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 palaboy2008

CoDy1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can't mate. Minimum policy in your own name is for 12 months in Ireland across the board with all insurers.

Your best bet is to get named on someone else's car for the time your here.
    +1

or rent a car if you're only using it for 2 weeks;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

CoDy1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can't mate.

You can, and get 11.5 months worth of premium back. But it generally means a cancellation fee of 50 or 100 quids.

EDIT: ewwww, Necro Thread

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

noblestee wrote: »
    You can, and get 11.5 months worth of premium back. But it generally means a cancellation fee of 50 or 100 quids.

EDIT: ewwww, Necro Thread

1/. Apply for a years cover.

2/. Spread premiums on a monthly dd.

3/. Cancel dd after 1 month.

4/. Return cert. and disc.

Sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

1/. Apply for a years cover.

2/. Spread premiums on a monthly dd.

3/. Cancel dd after 1 month.

4/. Return cert. and disc.

Sorted.

not sorted

Most 12 month term things are a contract .They can take you to small clams court to get their cancelation fees paid for . The chances are judge will see the Insurance companies point of view and award for them.

Best is go for the year and cancell after one month and pay cancell fees
    Probably cheaper than renting a car .

Car rentals for two weeks can be as low as E20 euros a day so worth checking that option

Derry

Advertisement