Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 operating systems

Options
  • 04-11-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,
    I just built a pc and i am about to install os but i was wondering if it was possible to run 2 operating systems on the one pc at the same time. then i have 2 24" monitors. i have 2 500g harddrives.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

At the same time, virtualisation. One OS runs as a virtual machine on top of the "host" (currently loaded) OS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,132 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi,
    I just built a pc and i am about to install os but i was wondering if it was possible to run 2 operating systems on the one pc at the same time. then i have 2 24" monitors. i have 2 500g harddrives.

Do you mean two installed simultaneously? Or you want two running simultaneously? If so you need to look into virtualization through something like VMware.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 longdub

well if your graphic card has dual video output,you can plug in two monitor,and setup an "extended desktop",so you can watch the video full screen on one monitor and chat online on the other monitor at the same time.the hard drive doesn't make any different.
    here is some help on how to setup an Extended Desktop
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2110936_setu...n-english.html

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭kingofbeers

I want 2 operating systems running simultaniously on one pc.i have no problem extending my desktop across two screen. but i want 2 operating sysems - one on each screen. But what is this virtualisation thing your talking about. has anyone done it.

cheers lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yeah, I have several OSes set up in virtual machines.

Basically, you install an application (like VMWare or Virtual Box) on the OS that will be running directly on the computer, and install the OS in that as a file on the hard disk. You then open that in the application and it runs the second OS like an application on the first one, usually in a window or full screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭kingofbeers

cheers for that. i might try that

Advertisement