Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smell from Firebird

• 04-11-2008 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have read previous posts on this and just wondering if anyone has any additional advice. I have a firebird in my utility (which has no window, but a door that I rarely open). The boiler from day one has smelt of fuel and and has gone on for 5 years. I had it commissioned by the firebird recommend plumber and he couldn't find any thing wrong.

I wonder sometimes does it come from the wind blowing the smoke back in the chimney??? But when I take off the door there is a strong odour and you can feel the heat, would this indicate a leak?? I have also read about combustible air, but don't know if it's a problem in this case.

healthwise this can't be good and I need to get something done about it. I have placed a call to the plumber, but just wondering has anyone else any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

You can get a smell if the boiler vents out to an area where there is a draught, or a side passage with the wind blowing down it. But usually the smell is from an oil leak - either in the pipe connections, filter or the burner itself.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

JamesM wrote: »
    You can get a smell if the boiler vents out to an area where there is a draught, or a side passage with the wind blowing down it. But usually the smell is from an oil leak - either in the pipe connections, filter or the burner itself.
    Jim.

I have the vent going out to the side passage which unfortunately is a bit of a wind tunnel! Is there any way to adjust the vent cap to help it along?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Candy11

My chimney also vents out to the side of the house that gets full on weather. But I have noticed recently, since it's the recessions:mad:, I have turned off the upstairs heating and the smell doesn't seem as bad as when the whole house is on!!!!!!!!!! Does this make any sense??

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

I'm afraid you have me there! That doesn't make any sense to me! :confused:

I must say that the FireBird is a strange animal, it works well when going but if it stops with an air pocket etc then it takes ages to get going again.

Advertisement