Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Archaeologists culled?

• 04-11-2008 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I've been hearing rumours of archeologists let go in droves. Is there a major cull going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Big time. 50% of the 2500 total are gone as far as Im told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 micf

My Dad was let go from his company... bummer... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

i left archaeology a few years ago, anyone i was digging with then is either unemployed, on protective notice or finishing projects with nothing lined up for the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

I have left archaeology this year, I had been really lucky, landed myself on Arch Comp's wetland site in Aughrim, which at the time was the only job in the country going. I had needed some time off as my dad had to have major surgery - instead of giving me the time off they gave me a p45!! that was it for me, im gone back to college doing something else, times are getting worse in that field I think, I got into it during the boom and tis scary how different its gone now, no security whatsoever (not that there ever really was that much security!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

Grimes,

I'd be pleasantly surprised if even 50% of the 2500 as you say are still working. I'd be willing to put the figure at more like 10%.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I thought a survey done last year showed that there were 1000 archaeologists working in Ireland? I'd say very few of them are working.

There were approx 60 of us let go back in mid summer. Don't think any of us have found any other archaeology work. Office jobs suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Do you think you guys will leave your office jobs and go back into the field if things pick up or is archaeology a dead end ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

All I can say is maybe. I would only go back if there was some sort of certainty in how long contracts will last. I'm at the stage now where I can't run the risk of being unemployed on and off, rents etc need to be paid.

Even when archaeology jobs come about again there won't be very many, and the competition for them will be huge.

I would love to go back to it though. I always feel better when I'm working outdoors.

Advertisement