Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finance Jobs Abroad??

Options
  • 04-11-2008 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

So I've just graduated with a masters in Quant. Finance, have no relevant work experience and can't find a job. I'm thinkin of going abroad to find work but am finding that most other countries are in the same situation. I hear good things about Canada but can't find jobs online for grads like me.

Anyone know where there are jobs in the financial services sector? Do I need to just go before finding a job or where can I find them online? I was originally applying for middle-office credit/market risk positions but now I'd take anything in the area of finance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mege Dalton

Hi there,

Just read your post, assuming you are under 30 yrs of age, perhaps you might consider going out to Australia on a Holiday working visa. Your lack of experience is against you as Australian employers in the financial sector require overseas workers to be well qualified and have lots of experience before offering jobs.

The Holiday working visa is for 12 months, it will get you out to Australia, and give you work rights. You can work for any one employer for up to 6 months, and spend some time travelling as well. Many visa holders then look to be sponsored by Australian employers on the ever popular "work permit" at the end of their 12 months as they want to continue living and working in Australia, and by this time they also have valuable Austalian work experience on their resumes which makes them more attractive to employers.

If you go to the Immigration website www.immi.gov.au, it explains how to apply for the Holiday working visa.

I have info on the work permit requirements at ww.bvaustralia.com if you are interested.

All the best,

Mege Dalton
    Australian Visa Expert
    MARN 0501113
    Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

I dont know if going abroad is the answer. Take your time & have a look here. I would not aim too high- you will have to start at the bottom if you have no experience, degree or no degree. If you have just graduated, you cant be looking that long. There are recruitment freezes at the moment in this sector so it may take time. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I work in credit risk. There will definitely be jobs coming up, it's just the recruitment freeze at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You could try Germany ? There lots of Hiring going on around the Nordrhein-Westfalien region, PM me for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Joey_Joe_Joe

Thanks guys for your posts, at the minute I'm looking in Dublin for any sort of back-office job but I can't get an interview even because they all have the luxury now of being able to recruit the right candidate with experience in that field. Another problem with aiming lower is that alot of companies don't want someone like me because they think (and they're right) that as soon as I saw something better, I'd leave them and have just wasted there training time, etc.

I've temporarily given up on middle-office because whatever jobs there are the competition is way to stiff for me. I hope you're right Pythia and they do pick up. I actually had a credit risk job in the bag pretty much with them saying they would offer it to me on the following Monday - for a big German bank based in Dublin only there owners were nearly bankrupt over that weekend (only for a bail-out) and hence they pulled the position, I'm sure most of you can guess who it was.

I'm not planning to go abroad until I know I have to, so I might wait til after christmas and if I havent found anything by then I think it might be time to go.

But I'll keep all that you've said in mind, I'll look into other regions as well. I'm starting to hear that recruitment should pick up in January with companies just waiting for year end, etc, so hopefully we've reached rock-bottom. Theres hope for me yet in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pc77

HI, I have a similar question, although my circumsances are slightly different in so far as I have five years Banking experience (2 with the Bank the original poster alluded to in his second post!). Basically I was wondering if anyone knew which countries are most attractive to emigrate to for Banking work? My experience is mostly in Middle-office, working with Derivatives.

I am 30 and have already used my one year working visa in Australia. I too have heard Canada is a good option.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise on the liklihood of acquiring both jobs and visas in countries such as Canada, Oz, Dubai, Singapore?

Any info offered is appreciated, preferably based on personal experience.

Thanks

Ps - I would have started a new tread but am new on this and couldn't work out how!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭albert-bundy

Perhaps you should try job agencies that have an overseas branch, a friend of mine recently got a job in Poland with issrecruitment in naas,but am sure there are many that have an over seas branch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://www.caribbeanjobs.com

It's a sister site of Irishjobs.ie.
    I don't know about visa and application procedures to work in that area but for sure the finance sector is huge in that area.

Hey, you might find something :)
    Beware the fake agency jobs that are most of these sites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pc77

Thanks for the replies, hadn't heard of that site!

Advertisement