Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get a decent bike in dublin!!

Options
  • 04-11-2008 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hi!

im looking for a single speed to comute to work in dublin. i find that the prices in this city are horrible even compared to london. any bike popping up on gumtree is snapped up in seconds and as soon as a bike pops up with "ss" or "fixie" in the title it costs twice as much. ive looked on ebay, but dont wanna get one of those ****e ones from japan!

any help would be tops!!! cant wait to battle the traffic!

matt

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Why not order online from the UK then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

there's a place called everest cycles in Bray (opposite the Superquinn shopping centre), reasonably priced and open to haggling, especially if you are buying all the extra bits and bobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shirtz

el tonto wrote: »
    Why not order online from the UK then?

any recomendations of online stores? the only thing with this is that id rather buy second hand to save a bit of coin and to HOPEFULLY reduce the risk of it getting stolen. ie a shinny new bike would be more of a tarket that a good working, but dodgy looking one! in theory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

maybe check out halfords or eurocycles, you might get an old display model on the cheap if they are getting their christmas displays ready

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What is your budget?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

shirtz wrote: »
    any recomendations of online stores?
    Well, blorg got a great deal on a Giant Bowery from Pearson, but they don't seem to be selling them anymore. You'll need to shop around. At entry level you're talking about bikes like the Bowery or Specialized Langster. I'm sure others may be able to suggest other budget fixies. Google around a bit, but in general UK shops will charge less than Irish ones.
    the only thing with this is that id rather buy second hand to save a bit of coin and to HOPEFULLY reduce the risk of it getting stolen. ie a shinny new bike would be more of a tarket that a good working, but dodgy looking one! in theory!

The second hand market isn't that big here, so you might be waiting a while to find something. As you've already noticed, the Pistadex affect means it's hard to find bargains.

el tonto wrote: »
    Well, blorg got a great deal on a Giant Bowery from Pearson, but they don't seem to be selling them anymore. You'll need to shop around. At entry level you're talking about bikes like the Bowery or Specialized Langster. I'm sure others may be able to suggest other budget fixies. Google around a bit, but in general UK shops will charge less than Irish ones.

The second hand market isn't that big here, so you might be waiting a while to find something. As you've already noticed, the Pistadex affect means it's hard to find bargains.

yeah a bowery would be tops. budget is around 300 max. might just buy something old and ss it myself...then sell it for 500 in a few month ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

might just buy something old and ss it myself...then sell it for 500 in a few month ;)

ha! dream on.
    (this is coming from a fixie seller)

RobFowl wrote: »

id remove the basket for weight reduction!!

flickerx: i knew some guys in london that used to buy old racersput new brakes on and take a few cogs off make make a good profit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

id remove the basket for weight reduction!!

flickerx: i knew some guys in london that used to buy old racersput new brakes on and take a few cogs off make make a good profit.

Sorry about that , my sense of humour is , well lets say sarcastic to be nice!!! Here all the the single speeds at wiggle. Some very nice ones at the 450 sterling level
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/Cycle/7/Single_Speed_Bikes/
    Planet X have some nice ones as well
    http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Fixed_Gear_Bikes.html

Advertisement