Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Holes and Singularitys

Options
  • 03-11-2008 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

I have to say that of all the strange and wonderful things in the cosmos nothing catch's the imagination quite like a black hole ' no not naomi campbell's arse' but the darkly ghosty left over of a massive star

Ive always being fascinated with this phenonomon and ive rea up quite a bit on them, still i find it hard to comprehend

Im most fascinated with the singularity the fact that not even time can ecaspe it

I find it hard to comprehend how such an phenonomon can exsit its truely amazing

For anyone interested in a little read this is a good link kinda asks question the average joe like me would want to know about black holes

Id love to hear from other people on this subject

http://cosmology.berkeley.edu/Education/BHfaq.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

They are strange indeed, and that's where their wonder lies. However, energy does actually 'escape' from them (according to theory). Indeed, they shrink over time and will eventually just evaporate into nothing. However, the length of time that it would take any one black hole to evaporate completely is longer than the current age of the Universe.

Stephen Hawking describes them very-well in his A Brief History of Time book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I think they only shrink if they don't consume any matter for a long time. If they keep emitting Hawking radiation while not consuming any matter they will evaporate.

If they keep consuming large amounts of matter over a very long time they become super massive black holes and they can last many milliont of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

What do you guys think a black hole actully is and what does it look like

Is it in the conventional term a hole ?

Does it have mass like a star or a planet

Does it have a surface

How deep is a black hole for instance in a black hole inside one are you still inside normal space ie the universe or are you falling into some other type of space

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

how about small black holes ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_electron
    In physics, there is a speculative notion that if there were a black hole with the same mass and charge as an electron, it would share many of the properties of the electron including the magnetic moment and Compton wavelength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

luckyfrank wrote: »
    What do you guys think a black hole actully is and what does it look like

Is it in the conventional term a hole ?

Does it have mass like a star or a planet

Does it have a surface

How deep is a black hole for instance in a black hole inside one are you still inside normal space ie the universe or are you falling into some other type of space
    It doesn't 'look' like anything at all, appearance is reflection/production of light, which bh doesn't.

A hole in the fabric of spacetime, whatever that means. A hole in the sense that things fall into it.

It has mass, and stars and planets can orbit it.

It has an event horizon, which is like a surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

It doesn't 'look' like anything at all, appearance is reflection/production of light, which bh doesn't.

Spot on!

The best way of thinking about black holes, is that they are just stars. Extremely large stars whose mass is so colossal and it is sufficiently far along its life time, that the outward pressure (radiative, electron degeneracy etc) cannot support the inward gravitational pressure, so it 'shrinks' to a mathematical singularity.
    It still has the same enourmous mass, but in an infinitely small mass, so the escape velocity approaches infinity, which not even light can match.

I think there exists a different mechanism by which the super massive black holes at the center of galaxies form, and not too sure of this!

Advertisement