Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne.....

Options
  • 03-11-2008 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

This is more a teenage health problem but i couldnt find a section for that! I'm 17 and have moderate to severe acne. I have been to my GP and tried a number of different treatments. My first antibiotic was tetralysal 300 (tetracycline) used with panoxyl 10. This cleared it up greatly, but during my second prescribed course my liver function tests went haywire and i had to come off them immediatley.
    I then tried some natural treatments (had no effect at all) and am now on a topical antibiotic called zineryt, and im still using the panoxyl 10. It kind of works, but my skin is still quite bad and im starting to get acne scarring.

Basically what im getting at is does anyone know of any good other treatments? I was thinking possibly about laser treatment or microdermabrasion? anyone ever had these and did they work?

all help is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Go to your GP and ask to be recommended to a dermotologist.
    Enquire about Roaccutane, infact google it.
    Don't let the bad stories deter you.
    It's a life-changer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 hughs

Try removing dairy from your diet. I spent years going back and forth to doctors, nothing worked. I discovered myself that the absence of dairy improved skin condition enormously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I ws on minocin (i think thats what it was called) and zinryt, the thing u have now... cleared up my acne so mayb try the minocin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Roaccutane is the only thing that worked for me.... and even that took over 2 years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Roccutane seems kind of risky, though I've heard some people say that it *solved* their depression. But if I were taking it, I'd want a second line of defence - I'd want to be very, very sure that I was very, very aware of the real and dangerous risk of sudden, devastating and absolutely unrealistic depression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

luckat wrote: »
    Roccutane seems kind of risky, though I've heard some people say that it *solved* their depression. But if I were taking it, I'd want a second line of defence - I'd want to be very, very sure that I was very, very aware of the real and dangerous risk of sudden, devastating and absolutely unrealistic depression.
    The jury's still out on the depression thing with roacc

Personally what I found depressing was having hideous cystic acne all over my body! :(

So roaccutane was a life-saver.... a slow-working life-saved, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭chrissor

I was on roaccutane for about 6 months starting it about time last year, cleared it up perfectly and as the last poster said no signs of depression just relief that the treatment finally cleared a problem I had for three years. I was on a pretty hefty dose at one point, 90 mg per day and never felt any bad effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭fabgooner

i had severe acne, tried everything, stuff u put on your skin, stuff u take, they worked for a while but my body seemed to get used to them
    inquire about roaccutane, it is amazing, you have to have regular blood tests though as it can affect your liver.
    you will hear horror stories about roaccutane but the benefits outweigh the possible bad effects

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

OP - Your GP is best placed to advise you on particular treatments.

For general and age-appropriate discussion on acne, you might want to look here -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1146

Of course, you are more than welcome to post here, but you might find the C&H forum interesting too.

Best of luck :)

/thread - it had zoned in on the merits of a particular treatment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement