Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vista service pk 1 trouble

Options
  • 03-11-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi
    am trying to install vista sp1 but keep getting this error message
    "An internal error occured while installing error code 0x80070247"

have tried to install this with both the auto update and the manual download methods.

have tried most of the fixes at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366

If anyone can be of assistance it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sometimes in cases like this you're actually simpler off to backup your files, do a factory reset, and then let vista refetch all its updates from scratch, and it usually takes less time than it would to figure out whats wrong with it manually (about 12 hours)

But thats just me. Recovery partitions and Backup wizards have made me a lazy bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

lol....i love your style !

• Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thank You. Frankly before Recovery Partitions (and the internet at large) I used to spend days and weeks trying to source problems because I was afraid to stick the Windows CD in and give it a wipe. Since then I've learned better :p

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

spudwiser wrote: »
    Hi

have tried to install this with both the auto update and the manual download methods.

Is SP1 appearing as available when you do a scan in windows updates? I came across a situation once where it was not showing up even though i knew it was available and not installed on the machine i was working on - turns out MS have some kind of detection procedure in place where if you have a driver installed that is known to be incompatible with Vista SP1, it wont show it as available to you. When i downloaded it standalone and forced the install i ended up with blue screens. the solution was to update the offending driver (to find out which one it was was another story, but i just updated a load of my drivers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Puteq wrote: »
    Is SP1 appearing as available when you do a scan in windows updates? I came across a situation once where it was not showing up even though i knew it was available and not installed on the machine i was working on - turns out MS have some kind of detection procedure in place where if you have a driver installed that is known to be incompatible with Vista SP1, it wont show it as available to you. When i downloaded it standalone and forced the install i ended up with blue screens. the solution was to update the offending driver (to find out which one it was was another story, but i just updated a load of my drivers).

First i've heard of that and i work for microsoft. Overheals solution is the best, reimage the machine, get all the updates then install sp1, then the updates again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Manties wrote: »
    First i've heard of that and i work for microsoft. Overheals solution is the best, reimage the machine, get all the updates then install sp1, then the updates again.

Some of your collegues have heard of it.., see link below

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not available for installation from Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Cheers for that link, couldn't find any info on the internal KB

Advertisement