Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your gambling - for fun or for profit?

Options
  • 03-11-2008 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

AS the title says, do you gamble for fun or for profit? There's no option for doing both, it's one or the other.

Do you gamble for fun or for money? 2 votes

I gamble for fun
    0% 0 votes
    I gamble purely to make money
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I want a third option! I do both.

I have a particular gambling bankroll from which i do bets based on making a profit.

However i also make other bets for fun that are not coming from the bankroll but from other disposable money.

More would go on the former than the latter of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

dsmythy wrote: »
    I want a third option! I do both.

No third option - everybody is going to say that they do both ("i really enjoy gambling but i also want to win money"). I'd just want to see what people classify their gambling as.

I repeat again - NO SITTING ON THE FENCE ALLOWED.

Also, i'm not referring to anyone who plays poker here. That's one for the poker forum (actually, I'd like the results of a similar poll on the poker forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well then considering my bet size on bankroll bets compared with fun bets then i guess i try to make a profit. If i'm losing on something in particular i stop betting on it. Horse racing being one such event that i don't bet on anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

profit end of, but of course its more enjoyable if you are winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I gamble for fun... but it's not alot of fun if you're losing money all the time, is it? :) If I break even, then I'm happy enough.

Having said that, I've started taking it a bit more seriously lately, which has lead to a few decent wins. As such, I may begin to gamble for profit soon enough!

Put it like this: my college workload prohibits me from working more than a few hours in my job every week. Last week I earned <€60! But I managed €100 on the football!

If I thought I could manage at least €60 gambling on a weekly basis, then I'd be able to quit my job completely :) I'll just see how it goes for the time being.

• Advertisement
Advertisement