Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lodgers

Options
  • 02-11-2008 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

New lodgers moved into a double room i have a couple , now the shower in the en-suite in the room isnt he greatest , in saying that its just theres not great pressure from shower and they knew that as i had told them 4 days before they came here , i used to live in a diff house in this estate ( i owned it also ) and the showers are all the same , not great pressure

now today the girl came down and said the shower wasnt good enough and what do we do etc etc

i told her that in the main bathroom there is a power shower that they can use , and that the shower is how it is

she seams like a real ball buster and i think if i back down they she'll find some other thing to say to me

basically the shower is standard manual feed , not alot of pressure

i think she's just trying to heckle for lower rent

a plumber friend said the shower is standard

so what do i do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Frankly, stick to your guns. If they wanted a power shower, the time to say it was before they moved in.

It's not your problem that they don't like something that was disclosed to them before they moved in.

And I wouldn't lower the rent either. If they don't like it I'm sure you can find someone who will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

cheers man thats all i wanted to hear

i feel if i back down then they know i would in the future etc

im obliging , €550 a month includes all bills and 3mb wireless broadband for a couple whichi think is ok

the showers ok for some but not for others etc

im letting them use the power shower etc , but the excuse is " were paying for a ensuite room but were not getting it " i can understand them , but the showers ok just not to her standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Fatloss08 wrote: »
    cheers man thats all i wanted to hear

im obliging , €550 a month includes all bills and 3mb wireless broadband for a couple whichi think is ok

the showers ok for some but not for others etc

im letting them use the power shower etc , but the excuse is " were paying for a ensuite room but were not getting it " i can understand them , but the showers ok just not to her standards

I think you should tread more carefully here. Do some research into how fitting a power shower is. If its not to expensive and you can stretch to it. I would say install the shower. That would make the tennant happy and also a power shower is always a good selling piont for the house. Not to mention the rooms rental value.

Pick your battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

You disclosed before they moved in - why did they move in if this is an issue? Perhaps theres another reason? Has a better deal come up after they've moved in to your place?
    If she's a 'ball breaker' as you put it, imagine what she will be like when she has a legitimate gripe! Holding firm now may save you future heartache.
    Fatloss08 wrote: »
    Your quite right - thats human nature. Unless your finding it hard to find tenants (ie. your likely to be out of pocket if they move out), then stick to your guns.
    IF you do decide to shell out money on upgrading shower, make sure you keep telling them during the process that you have no obligation to do so.

she came into me last night and asked about it

so i said , if the shower actually wasnt working then id have no prob doing something , but its in perfect working order ( she had a power shower in old house ) so its not to her standard , and to be honest id have no problem showering in it

so i said " i told you the pressure in the shower isnt great " before you moved it , and unfortunately thats the standard of the room , if you genuinely dont like it then maybe you could stay here till you find some alternative ?? to which she said " we dont wanna move , we like the people here etc " but could you lower the rent , and i said well to be honest i was even pushed to rent out the room so the money isnt an issue ( which it is , i was playing a dangerous game ) and that was the rent for that room and the shower was adequate , so its a point of principle why i cant lower it etc etc

she backed down and said ok no probs and that she was happy to stay there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A power shower may be cheap to install, but it eats electricity.

OP; as the current rent is €550 including bills, it's a sweet deal. If you install a power shower, it'll eat into that €550 very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Wasn't a very honest approach on her part. If she wanted you to consider reducing the rent, she should have been straight up about it.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I think you should tread more carefully here. Do some research into how fitting a power shower is. If its not to expensive and you can stretch to it. I would say install the shower. That would make the tennant happy and also a power shower is always a good selling piont for the house. Not to mention the rooms rental value.

Pick your battles.

why should i fit one ??? she saw the room from start and was happy , their a foreign couple and she does the talking , she comes accross a bully to be honest , expects the most

i wont back down and for now it seems ok , i'll see how it pans out for the moment , as the extra cash for xmas would be good , so we see what happens

shower price is €700 for a triton and installation , and i aint wasting that , i joked with her and said if u want a power shower no problems i'll ask for €650 to which she got the idea

im not mean , but i aint gonna be held randsom in my own house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

You're right, don't back down.

I've had to get tenants myself over the past 10 years and it really annoys me the way they'll be all sweet before they move in ("it looks great, everything's perfect") then as soon as they move in they turn weird.

If she starts being a pain in the hole just kick them out tbh.

Advertisement