Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintering

Options
  • 02-11-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Can someone give me some guidlines about preparing our campervan for the winter? I see previous thread about emptying tanks. What else should be done?
    I have put some salt crystal thingies in the van for damp, but some of the upholstery already has a bit of mould :mad: Any tips for how I can clean the fabric?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi molliesassyi

This is my first winter for storing my van. I have opened all cupboards and doors to allow air circulation,locked open my side windows,stood all cushions upright, none touching.I have a couple of bought moisture traps (I'll replace every month or so) several bowls of salt in different places.

All tanks drained,boiler dump open,taps open and fingers crossed!!:)

Any other ideas or corrections to the above ,gratefully received..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you get a chance to do so, on a really nice, dry day, air the van out for an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

In addition to the above suggestions, I store all cushions/curtains in the house. Plug in a dehumidifier every so often. Run the engine for about 20 minutes every week. Leave the fridge door open. Check to make sure no batteries lying around. ie. in torches/radios as they can leak. I also leave in gear and handbrake off to prevent any chance of sticking.
    Mould seems to love spilt juices or any food residue so a good clean at the start of the winter is advisable. As reguards removing mould I find washing powder and water with a scrubbing brush works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 doubledecker

plenty of salt....
    put bowls of it everywhere, in cupboards, under seats etc.....
    works a treat.
    and much cheaper than the 'proper' stuff on sale.:)

Advertisement