Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cracks/cuts/cold sores on lips

Options
  • 02-11-2008 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Damn it. After another weekend of heavy activities (you dont need to know) I feel another cold sore coming on, right in the middle of my top lip. I used to get them regularly when I was cycling, the wind and dirt would usually open up a minging crack in my lip and all hell would break loose. Then I started using that Burts Bees lip balm (you can get it in the health shops in Dublin) and it pretty much dropped down to nothing, its great stuff.

Anyone got any good recommendations for lip balm, when a cold sore is developing? I cant really go out and cycle with it starting up now, it would just get much worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

vaseline maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

My missus swears by the compede patches! expensive tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can get little lip balm vaseline containers for about €1 in most pharmacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Vaseline is useless, and so is Zovirax. After reading up on it I think I'm going to try the home made remedies for a change - freeze it with ice every three to four hours, and take some Lysine tablets or drops, whatever this may be. Today its gotten worse, its all bubbly and white, and its physically painful. Cancel all social engagements for the week now too. :mad: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

flickerx wrote: »
    Vaseline is useless, and so is Zovirax. After reading up on it I think I'm going to try the home made remedies for a change - freeze it with ice every three to four hours, and take some Lysine tablets or drops, whatever this may be. Today its gotten worse, its all bubbly and white, and its physically painful. Cancel all social engagements for the week now too. :mad: :(

Zovirax only works if you get it before the infection takes hold. Everything else (like cold and flu remedies) will only ease symptoms and will generally prolong the infection and spread it rather than treat it. Vaseline will at least protect it from the weather and will stop the spreading as it can seal the infected area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Bambaata

the big thing with cold sores is to not touch it and wash your hands a lot. they are lethal at spreading through touch. i suffered bad as a teenager with them. i got one every two weeks. as soon as one would clear i'd have another.

thankfully ive only had about 4 this year. i normally pump myself with Vit C tablets and Lysine when i feel them hitting but i think the best method i've had to prevent them is enough sleep and a strong immune system. they develop when you are stressed, tired or run down etc

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

I used to suffer with cold sores and I've found a great solution (well one that works for me!!).
    I bought lysine tablets from a health shop and if I feel the tingle I immediately take 1 and contine to take 3 a day till the cold sore is gone. (I dont take them all the time as they are linked to high colesterol).
    I find zivirax useless too in fact it causes my cold sores to swell even more its horrible.
    I looked into alternative brands in boots and tried cymex. Its for cold sores and chapped lips so I keep it on me all the time. If I feel the tingle I start using it and continue to do so until the cold sore is gone.
    Since doing the above I've found I get less cold sores and the ones that do develop are gone very quickly. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Was just thinking about this the other day again. I tend to get these after I'm feeling run down, especially if I've been drinking and then eating bad food the next day, or if I'm stressed out too. I've had a few minor problems with recovering from my collarbone surgery last week (the incision was leaking blood through the stitches, and I had some sort of allergic skin reaction all over one side of my body and the back of my head) and I felt pretty wiped out, my body felt bloated and lethargic (this is probably also from the lack of regular cycling). So yesterday morning I felt a cold sore coming on again.

But I've been taking your advice BBlitz since the original post, and starting taking Lysine and Zinc to stop them coming on, and I find this generally tends to shorten their lifespan, if not kill them altogether. Eating lots of fruit also seems to help. I looked up a bit more on the internet, and found advice on actually physically destroying them if they start up, with a sewing needle and rubbing alcohol. If any little bubbles start to appear, as early as possible you swab the sewing needle with alcohol and stab them open. The supplements with the physical element seem to do the trick for me. When I woke up today it had more or less gone without ever erupting. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I take a similar approach too mouth ulcers, which I get when I'm run down, particularly after drinking. I just pop them with my finger covered in salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Only use Zovirax.
    Found it helps it heal faster - but I put on numerous times all thru the day - do not let it dry out.

Tried compeed - stung too much - and burnt my OHs lip - now when she gets sun you can see a scar there...

Things I do to prevent.
    1. only drink from bottles in pubs
    2. in work - only use paper cups
    3. daily take beeline Vit C & Zinc - only one - more than that and my hands break out - go figure...
    4. Also exercise regularly - cannot say I sleep well - usually 1 / 2 nts per week do not get asleep until 4am up at 6am - not good..

But in last 2 yrs - only gotten 2, last time when I used cup in work; time before after drinking whiskey in pub...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lyders

NEVER ever use Vaseline when out in the sun...(unless it is the one with SPF in it)

I am a huge fan of Puiz Buin lip balm sunscreen (but any with at least 30 SPF is good). I find it helps a lot with preventing any lip sores. I do a lot of water sports (the odd bit of cycling now too!) and so out in the sun alot, SPF is the key.

Advertisement