Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Literature

Options
  • 02-11-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

I had an idea, if we could put one thread that could be linked to FAQ sticky about photography literature. We have regular questions about books, so I think that could be nice thread to have.
    I was thinking about dividing it to two sections - practical and theoretical and with photographs. If you could mention what kind of book it is, that would help us.
    And maybe even some movies?

Please, add information about books and films to create wonderful catalog of inspiring, educating and helpful resources.

Practical:

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
    Explains the basic knowledge base about exposure in very friendly way. Aperture, shutter time, focal length not for dummies, but for everybody.

Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Photographers by Martin Evening
    Very detailed but even more understandable explanation of basics and important functions of Photoshop.

Theoretical:

On Photography by Susan Sontag
    One of the key books of essays in photography. Very good read. Warning - there are no photos in the whole book! And there is one a little bit boring part of the book - but it is only my opinion.

Camera Lucida by Roland Barthes
    Selfish and egocentric view on photography. Reading creates the need for argument with Barhes, although he is dead. However the arguments make you think about photography even more.

Photographs:

Inferno by James Nachtwey
    Former war photographer does not take photos of war, but people in and after war. Includes documents of famine, intolerance and poverty - the World around us.

Century by Bruce Bernard
    Wonderful collection of well know photographs depicting last century. There is also extended re-edition that goes a little further into the 21st century. Could be bought in two sizes - yes, it is very important information.

Films:

War Photographer - a documentary on James Nachtwey. Shows him at work, his style of work and includes his attempt to explain why he is doing such type of photography - document on people that are not as fortunate in many ways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Flickr group discusses photography magazines and writers:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/central/discuss/72157611513568026/

There are many groups on Flickr devoted to photos "in the style of" famous photographers. It's worth searching for names like Atget, Doisneau and Cartier-Bresson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

The Ongoing Moment by Geoff Dyer

An eccentric encyclopedia or sorts written by a man who by his own admittance, doesn't even own a camera. Dyer makes no claims about expertese but gives quite a bit of personal insight on common themes and subjects that have proven important to photography. He doesn't delve too deep into the personalities of photographers except in a few cases-I can't remember names and I don't have my copy here so I can't give examples. Informative, rather than educational, and incredibly well written. This guy does it far more justice than I can with words.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lukeod

Museum Watching by Elliott Erwitt

Shots of museum visitors interacting with exhibits. Simple, but incredibly effective. Makes you think about where the actual interest in a scene is.

5000 days Various

Press photography...

Motor Racing - the Golden Age - John Tennant

Don't rule it out cause of the subject. This is a great collection of photos from 1900-1970. Seventy years of changing techniques and technology starting over a hundred years ago... Worth a look..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Just got "The great LIFE photographers" at Christmas. It features staff photographers from LIFE magazine. If social commentry is your kind of thing then its makes for a great viewing - there's not much reading to it but it gives a little bio on each photographer. To my mind there is some tremendous material in there to aspire to the like of.

The LIFE photo archive project is available on google here but there something nice to holding the paper in one mitt with a glass of wine in the other. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Light, Science & Magic, 3rd edition - Hunter, Biver and Fuqua

The Movement It Clicks - Joe McNally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Just a reminder that a search in Google Books will lead to a great variety of technical books on technique, art, technological aspects of photography and biographies of photgraphers that may be read online for free.

I've started making a collection in my Google Profile.
    It may be worth sharing, in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks for the recommendation on "Understanding Exposure". I picked up a copy yesterday and it's good reading. It has already answered a lot of questions for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

The Complete Guide to Night and Low-light photography by Lee Frost is a great book for that specific type of photography.

Maybe a bit OT but Scott Kelby is really good at writing about Photoshop in a witty and easy to understand way - he has a few books on different aspects of PS.

As for books of photographs, I think it's quite subjective, browse some in a shop and buy a few that really get you excited and inspired. It's good to be able to flip through them when your inspiration is low and you want something to urge you to get out the camera again. For those in Galway Charlie Byrne's often has really good prices for photo books that are often in new condition.

Advertisement