Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any bike shops in Dublin size your frame?

Options
  • 02-11-2008 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I rang commuting solutions the other day, (think they're called think bike now) and asked about getting a new Giant. They said they had none in stock, but could order one in with a deposit, but they didn't mention what size they would order in, so I suggested a large frame, and then asked to check what sizes are available (I'm presumed s/m/l). I was told small, medium, medium large, large & extra large. I asked what if the sizes isn't right and was told another one would be ordered. This would take another 3-4 days.

This isn't the first time I've dealt with a shop were the size of frame is treated as unimportant, an afterthought at best. I'd have thought questions about this should always be asked by the shop in order to get the best fit.

Is there anywhere the measures customers up for a new bike? or is it always seen as the responsibility of the customer?

(This purchase is for a relation who knows little about bikes, so I'm trying to guide them best I can).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Cyclesuperstore have a bike fitting service, where they will size you up perfectly for a bike, it costs €69.95, but you you will get your money back if you order a bike or frame within 6 weeks.
    They also stock Giants
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=41

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?priceFrom=0&priceUntil=999999999&idCategory=0&idSupplier=10&resultCnt=50&order=3&quicksearch=1&keyword=giant

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

xz wrote: »
    Cyclesuperstore have a bike fitting service, where they will size you up perfectly for a bike, it costs €69.95, but you you will get your money back if you order a bike or frame within 6 weeks.

In addition to the fully computerized job, they do non-geeky bike fitting for about half that price. Or so the bloke in CSS (Justin?) told me when I was in a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Cycleways in Parnell Street have some machine to measure you up and advise on the correct frame size and settings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

When I bought my bike the guy in the shop just looked at me and said "yeah, about the same height as me - 52"

It fits fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

i'd have to agree with aidan.offbeat. its fairly simple sizing someone. but how thorough is the bike fitting at CSS?

tbh, i'd be pretty p*ssed if i had sized up a bunch of people in a bike shop, to not have sold one bike at the end of the day! so i can see where CSS are coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

So, if my inseam is 86cm which frame would be best?
    geometry%20defy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

grizzly wrote: »
    So, if my inseam is 86cm which frame would be best?
    geometry%20defy.jpg

By your inseam measurement, a 56cm frame would fit you if it is measured centre to centre (top tube)

If it is measured centre to top, a 57cm or 58cm would do, (note, some manufacturers do odd sizes, some, even sizes).

There are other variables, like stem length etc., but this is just a rough guide I have given you.

On the above graphic, I would say the Medium/Large to Large 53.5 or 55.5, if I remember rightly, I am same inseam as you, and I ride a 50cm Giant, of compact frame design, and it is slightly small, and I am going to be getting the 53.5 M/L DEFY.I am 5'10".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

But also to bear in mind is that some people like smaller frames! Personally, a 58cm frame tends to fit me 'best', but I prefer riding a 56 -cos it feels more manoeuvrable to me and easy to throw around the place (similar goes with the pros iirc)

I think always best to try before you buy if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Actually - if you really want to be particular about it and don't want to shell out 70 lids, measure yourself:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

Advertisement