Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dura Ace Planet X build for 1150

Options
  • 02-11-2008 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Build it yourself, but it's cheap!

Specification
    Frame: Planet X SL Pro Carbon Road (Black)
    Fork: Planet X SL Pro all Carbon
    Gear/Brake Lever: Shimano Dura Ace 10 Speed STI
    Front Mech: Shimano Dura Ace 10 Speed
    Rear Mech: Shimano Dura Ace 10 Speed
    Chainset: FSA Gossamer Compact
    (Small , Medium 172.5mm, Large, X-Large 175mm)
    Cassette: Shimano 105 12/25
    Chain: KMC X10
    Brakes: Tektro R720 Dual Pivot
    Wheels: Planet X Model B. Aero rim, bladed spokes.
    Tyres: Schwalbe Lugarno 23mm
    Seatpost: Planet X SL Team Forged Alloy
    Bars: Planet X SL Team Constant Diameter Anatomic Oversized
    (Small 40cm, Medium 42cm, Large 42cm, X-Large 44cm)
    Stem: Planet X SL Team 3D Forged Oversizes
    (Small 90mm, Medium 100mm, Large 110mm, X-Large 120mm)
    Bar Tape: Cork Black
    Saddle: Planet X SL Team Titanium Rails Black

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    Shopping?

Not me, saw a link on bikeradar... I'm saving my pennies for one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm saving my pennies for one of these

Squoval. Genius. I want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

There is a limit to the number of Cervelos permitted to Boards members. There must be a 6 month gap between each purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Not me, saw a link on bikeradar... I'm saving my pennies for one of these

Ah jayus everyone buying a cervelo these days :D

Have they changed anything with the 09 model??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

So...very....tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Raam wrote: »
    There is a limit to the number of Cervelos permitted to Boards members. There must be a 6 month gap between each purchase.

Im buying (well putting the money on it - dont quite have the full sum yet) mine this week so will i get there first? Getting the P2C with a nice set of 606's. Yipee!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Leggy Blonde

hey,

that offer there has 105s cassette and chainset, would they not be the parts that you would most like to have dura ace?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

no the brifters and the mechs are the most expensive bits, and which you are least likely to ever need to replace. cassettes are (relatively) cheap and need replacing more anyway, so you can always upgrade the casette when you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Squoval...Brifters... I like where this is going! Soon we'll have our own bike language, sorry bianguage:D

• Advertisement

surely they make more of a difference to the overall quality of the ride. and arent chainsets 200 euro?

surely they make more of a difference to the overall quality of the ride. and arent chainsets 200 euro?

I assume you are referring to the cranks?
    FSA according to the spec

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Spec has FSA gossamer cranks, which are similarly priced as Ultegra, so would be comparable I'd imagine. The block is 105, but you can upgrade to Ultegra block for 30 sterling, around 40 euro, or dura-ace for 60 sterling (CRC)

kenmc wrote: »
    Spec has FSA gossamer cranks, which are similarly priced as Ultegra, so would be comparable I'd imagine. The block is 105, but you can upgrade to Ultegra block for 30 sterling, around 40 euro, or dura-ace for 60 sterling (CRC)

For what it's worth, I had issues with FSA Gossamer cranks/BB. It kept creaking and making all sorts of noise. I had it swapped out to Ultegra which I have found to be much better.

how can you upgrade like that?

how can you upgrade like that?

What do you mean?

ah doesnt matter, the gossamer chainset has to be swapped as far as i can see

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

that offer there has 105s cassette and chainset, would they not be the parts that you would most like to have dura ace?

If I was going for Dura Ace it would be the shifters and the rear derailleur I'd most like to have. Cassettes make no difference to the quality of the ride. The only difference between a 105 cassette and a Dura Ace one is weight. The Dura Ace cassette would wear quicker because half the cogs are titanium, which is lighter but not as hard wearing as steel. I've a Record drivetrain, but I'd never buy Record cassettes

Cranks are a bit different. You'll see an awful lot of bike firms use FSA or Truvativ cranks instead of Shimano or Campagnolo because they're cheaper. And if you want a bargain carbon bike with Dura Ace, that's one of the big places you can save money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

What's the deal with installing a bb on a carbon frame, out of curiosity?

Just screw it in and torque down to the recommended spec.

• Advertisement
Advertisement