Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I overdo it or wha??

Options
  • 01-11-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Went for a cycle today , went my usual route is quite hilly but nothing too difficult . My route usually skirts the Comeragh mountains and round trip I manage to do about 50 -55 miles . Today , however I veered off the beaten track and attempted a few hilly climbs , ended up doing 70 miles in total with quite a few hilly climbs .
    Have to say , I felt so weak when I got home I was actually worried . Brought my usual supply of 1 energy drink , and a pocketful of nuts n' currants ( normally plenty) , but today I feel these might not have been enough . Did I " bonk " ?? ( is that the word? ) , I do maybe 150 -170 miles a week so I feel I should be fit enough , but today I felt weak as a kitten after getting home . Maybe I need to bring more "sugary " things with me ? Any advice from experienced hill cyclists would be welcome . I've just realised a Sean Kelly I ain't ..............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

was quite windy out this morning as well deisetrek which would have burned a few more calories,
    i tend to bring an extra nutrigrain or something, normally don't need it but it's handy to have it anyway just in case,
    as a matter of interest what hills were you on? we were out this morning but skirted around the comeraghs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Nuts wouldn't give you what you need on a long spin. You need to be eating some carbohydrates - before and during training. if you are low on carbs you'll feel tired and lack power.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

showry wrote: »
    was quite windy out this morning as well deisetrek which would have burned a few more calories,
    i tend to bring an extra nutrigrain or something, normally don't need it but it's handy to have it anyway just in case,
    as a matter of interest what hills were you on? we were out this morning but skirted around the comeraghs

Well showry, went out from the city as far as Lemybrien , then headed towards Carrick , but whereas I usually turn off for Clonea and head for Porlaw , I turned off earlier for Fews . Went from Fews to Clonea (very hilly) and Clonea to Kilmac , then north again to the Portlaw turn off . Then Portlaw to Kilmeaden and back into town . Just worked out the route on Google maps and headed off .
    Have to say though , totally undrestimated the difficulty and actually felt dizzy when I got off the bike at home . But 'cause I feel no ill effects this morning ( no pains etc) it must have been purlely that I had insufficient fuel on board . Won't make the same mistake again .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I felt like that yesterday, was going well, until coffee stop, after that, it's 30kms home, and I felt like s***, woke up this morning aching, sore throat, sneezing. Explains the weakness and soreness yesterday.
    Maybe you are coming down with a cold or slight infection too, might explain the crappy feeling, or as already been said, it was a stiff breeze out yesterday, you would have had to work harder, probably without actually realising it.

I always bring 2 drinks on spins, even if I dont drink them all, a banana and 2 nutri-grain bars, dont always eat everything, but its nice to have if you need the boost, also try to drink at least 2 glasses of water, or an energy drink within the hour before you go out, and take regular gulps from your bottle, say every 20 mins even if you don't feel thirsty. Staying hydrated is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Have to say , I felt so weak when I got home I was actually worried . Brought my usual supply of 1 energy drink , and a pocketful of nuts n' currants ( normally plenty) , b..............

Far from an expert but for over 100k I'd be bringing a lot more than that - at least 2 drinks, banana, crackers, some grain bars, other fruit etc etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Well showry, went out from the city as far as Lemybrien , then headed towards Carrick , but whereas I usually turn off for Clonea and head for Porlaw , I turned off earlier for Fews . Went from Fews to Clonea (very hilly) and Clonea to Kilmac , then north again to the Portlaw turn off . Then Portlaw to Kilmeaden and back into town . Just worked out the route on Google maps and headed off .
    Have to say though , totally undrestimated the difficulty and actually felt dizzy when I got off the bike at home . But 'cause I feel no ill effects this morning ( no pains etc) it must have been purlely that I had insufficient fuel on board . Won't make the same mistake again .

You probably had a sugar crash my friend, the bonk is something you'll never ever ever ever forget, think of a headwind, uphill, and turning a 39*26 as if it was a 53*12 and having absolutely nothing in yer legs and they feel like jelly.

I know some lads that don't eat on the bike and more that don't take a bottle with them for a spin less than 30 miles, I was out today for 43 miles[1] and I went thru two standard size bottles of Gatorade. I also had a little bit of chocolate with me. I normally try eat at least a good hour before heading out. Just check your intake before you go out and make sure you have enough on board, I know yesterday was windy (I was on a route near your own[2]) and into that headwind at times I was on the limit but didn't notice it because I was concentrating so much on riding.

If your looking for a group to go out with drop me a pm

[1] Todays Route http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=509303
    [2] Yesterdays Route http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=507854

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Sounds like dehydration.

Advertisement