Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front wheel paniers...don't laugh

Options
  • 01-11-2008 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I know how some people in this forum feel about paniers but I need to carry around a lot of crap!

I have a baby seat and because of the small frame cannot fit a rack on the back. But I've seen FRONT paniers and was wondering where I can find them and for how much.

I've been cycling around with too much weight in the front basket and almost fell off a million times...yes, if you saw someone veering into parked buses and weaving through traffic like a drunk, it was me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

shamama wrote: »
    I know how some people in this forum feel about paniers

Everyone loves panniers.

Anyway, these are the ones I'd choose:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Ortlieb_Front_Roller_Classic_Panniers/5360007508/

They might seem expansive, but you'll get at least 10 years out of them, probably more. They're widely available online, or Cycleways stock them in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a baby seat and because of the small frame cannot fit a rack on the back

How is the baby seat attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Well I don't use them myself (back panniers are more than enough) but the weight will be lower on front panniers so they may not compromise steering as much as stuff in a basket. You could also consider a trailer although I am surprised you can't get a rack to fit unless it is because the baby seat is in the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

There's nothing funny about front panniers. I had exactly the same problem: child seat on back interfered with the Ortlieb Back Rollers I had on the rear rack and so I switched to front panniers. Inevitably I went with Ortlieb Front Rollers and liked them so much that I now use them all the time on the front and rear panniers. One piece of advice: if you're used to using a pannier on only one side of the rear rack, don't expect do the same on the front: even with a light bag, there's a discernible impact on the steering so you'll need to use front panniers on both sides, ideally spreading the load as evenly as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I use Ortlieb front rollers on the back. The back ones are too big for day to day stuff. Gives much more clearance on the back too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Stick the baby in the basket? :pac: sorry ... tired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 shamama

Stick the baby in the basket? :pac: sorry ... tired

You know they do that in the Netherlands? Saw 3 kids sitting upfront in a wooden box...weird, yet wonderful.

The baby seat is attaches to a mechanism on the seat tube (can't remember the brand name) and the shop told me they couldn't fit a rack...which I find hard to believe since there's plenty of room so I should get it checked out elsewhere.

But thanks all for the replies, will check out the Ortleib...although still not sure how they attach. And at this rate the kit is worth more than the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

You know they do that in the Netherlands? Saw 3 kids sitting upfront in a wooden box...weird, yet wonderful.
    Yeah it's called a Bakfiets. One or 2 around dublin, but they're well expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The baby seat is attaches to a mechanism on the seat tube (can't remember the brand name) and the shop told me they couldn't fit a rack...which I find hard to believe since there's plenty of room so I should get it checked out elsewhere.

Sounds like mine (Hamax Sleepy).

Hamax also do a rack mount system, which accomodates the seat and panniers. I haven't worked out whether the seats are the same. Maybe check out the Hamax web site.

I've sort of decided to switch to a rear rack/seat setup myself, after discovering today how much more fun cycling is without a backpack.

I suspect the seat tube arrangement provides better suspension though (although it's undamped, which must be weird for the sprog).

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

I have a hamax seat as well, and i also have rear panniers but the seat tends to obstruct the bag a little bit.

But I also have the 5 rail version of this, and I love it. It has transformed my bike into a super versatile carry-all.

It cost about 80euro and took a while to get here as he has no europe distributor. But worth every cent and sturdy as hell. It even manages to look good on any bike, IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

[QUOTE=Itsfixed;57779643
    But I also have the 5 rail version of this, and I love it. It has transformed my bike into a super versatile carry-all.[/QUOTE]

Love the photo of the guy carrying the surf board, sideways!!!

Advertisement