Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rules, Ireland or Australia?

Options
  • 31-10-2008 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

Hello, I am over here from the GAA forum and I just have a question for all of you fans of the Aussie Rules Football. Some of you would be full blown Aussies and will more than likely support Australia. But what about the Irish expats among you? You would have an affiliation for the AFL code and support and AFL team. Would you support Ireland or Australia in the test matches?
    Many thanks for your replies.
    Ill get the ball rolling. I am from Dublin, I support Dublin and I support Ireland:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol here we go.

Ok, I was born in Perth, Australia, but did all my growing up in Dublin. I played soccer mainly as a kid, but played GAA at both schools and colleges level (played with a few of the current Dublin team). However, I don't love the game by any mean whereas I have always loved AFL (been an Eagles supporter since 1996).

I don't care when Dublin go out of the Championship, no more so than I care about Tyrone winning the All Ireland. I watch GAA as a neutral pretty much and would go to games as nothing beats live sports. However, since living here I've become mad into my AFL. At home i always the highlights packages and the grand Final on TG4 but now every weekend I have to get my fix! (Luckily there are games on Friday night, Saturday arvo, Saturday night and Sunday arvo!)

I have to admit that going into last week's game I was supporting Australia but I became quite the fence sitter when I was actually there wearing my Australian international rules jersey and a tri colour around it!

Overall, I've a far bigger interest in AFL than GAA so would be swaying towards Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol here we go.

Ok, I was born in Perth, Australia, but did all my growing up in Dublin. I played soccer mainly as a kid, but played GAA at both schools and colleges level (played with a few of the current Dublin team). However, I don't love the game by any mean whereas I have always loved AFL (been an Eagles supporter since 1996).

I don't care when Dublin go out of the Championship, no more so than I care about Tyrone winning the All Ireland. I watch GAA as a neutral pretty much and would go to games as nothing beats live sports. However, since living here I've become mad into my AFL. At home i always the highlights packages and the grand Final on TG4 but now every weekend I have to get my fix! (Luckily there are games on Friday night, Saturday arvo, Saturday night and Sunday arvo!)

I have to admit that going into last week's game I was supporting Australia but I became quite the fence sitter when I was actually there wearing my Australian international rules jersey and a tri colour around it!

Overall, I've a far bigger interest in AFL than GAA so would be swaying towards Australia.

Nice story. You should support the boys in blue in the GAA, they are a fine team and if you are a city lad you are probably aware of the country vs city slaggings everywhere around the world.

Oh I do. The ma bought me the whole feckin kit when I moved over, though I don't wear it all together cause I'd look like a 6 year old with his first replica kit! :D

I do take pride in being from Dublin, but wear the jersey more as a statement of that rather than my love of the county team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Big Dublin fan (from Dublin obviously!)
    Since moving to Melbourne this year I've gotten into the AFL.
    Will be supporting the Irish lads all the way though!

Xavi, feel free to correct me, but I seem to remember your dislike of the Gah being stronger than you incidated there. Something along the lines of 'I hate Gah and everything associated with it.' I seem to remember it being almost Des-esque!

Heh well yes I may have said something along those lines in the heat of the moment. It's true I do despise the GAA as an organisation. That is a seperate issue to the players and the game itself which I have a lot of respect for.

Was that around the time of the Thomas Davis/Shamrock Rovers thing as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dublin born and bred, in fact I still live there.

Lived in Sydney for six months, and melbourne for three.

I'd follow the Sydney Swan's results, and couldn't give a flying wombat about any gah team.

I'm supporting Australia in the International Rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Its looking like Ireland are in the ascendancy in the first half.

Lets see if they can maintain the momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Des wrote: »

I'd follow the Sydney Swan's results, and couldn't give a flying wombat about any gah team.

Great result for me today anyway:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Des wrote: »

Why does Ireland have so many self-loathers???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Big up to the Irish squad. They won it fair and square.

I was a bit pissed off by the performance by some of the so-called Aussie stars such as Dale Thomas and others who were non events.

• Advertisement
Advertisement