Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycled Bike Jewellery, Any Opinions?!?!

Options
  • 31-10-2008 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I just came across a website http://www.recycledacc.com/ which sells recycled bike jewellery. Perfect I said to myself, finally a way to express my love for bikes to others. I came across a bike chain bracelet http://www.recycledacc.com/product/BR-101 for €14, but I'm not sure about it. There is a free-shipping Christmas offer on at the moment which tempted me even more. What do ye think of these, like would ye wear them? I got a few more pictures of it sent to me, see below.

Any opinions would be great! Thanks

hpim2492cw1.th.jpg
    hpim2493pz2.th.jpg
    hpim2494zd4.th.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Had one for a bit. Was a b*stard to put on and take off in being a real bike chain an all. In fact I put it on once and took it off once.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'm pretty sure you can buy them in dunnes for a fiver...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I like them personally, think they are a nice idea. Works better if you are female IMHO.

I preferred the look of this one:

cable%20bracelet%201.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I reckon you'd get about five bracelets out of this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25435

All your Christmas shopping taken care of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

A few months ago LDB and me ordered a few of the them, we both got the one Blorg is showing. They're really nice! I wear mine quite a bit. On a guy though, it doesn't really work ...

And mine is made out off Dura Ace chain links as well, it's quality!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I got that chain one, and also one made out of a spoke. I don't really wear the chain one but wear the spoke one quite a bit.
    They aren’t girly so I think either men or women can get away with them.

Service from that site and delivery times was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I'm thinking of hanging a tyre around my neck like a necklace. Maybe it would look cooler if I used one of those nice lemon-coloured Continental Ultra Sport ones rather than the dirty black yoke I have in my shed...?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm thinking of hanging a tyre around my neck like a necklace. Maybe it would look cooler if I used one of those nice lemon-coloured Continental Ultra Sport ones rather than the dirty black yoke I have in my shed...?
    More common than you might think that, especially back in the day :D There's a trick to it, you really need to use a folding or ideally tubular tyre and loop it around under your arms like so:

eroica.jpg1208558391.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Mercy me, look at the goggles on the gentleman to the right! I am badly wanting a pair of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mercy me, look at the goggles on the gentleman to the right! I am badly wanting a pair of those.

He also has a spare handlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

have a go at making your own!
    (thats my answer to everything these days)

i made a bling-tastic necklace from a BMX chain (a KMC one), a couple of those small key holder things, and a connector bought in decwells. obviously you'd need a chain breaker as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

And how did it turn out, any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Lumen wrote: »
    He also has a spare handlebar.

I'll have one of those soon (maybe from tomorrow!)

Explanation here, and blatant post to raise awareness (and cash!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Of course this is alll bordering on hipster talk bicycle chain jewelry etc...

Could be time to lock the thread;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Hi guys, I just came across a website http://www.recycledacc.com/ which sells recycled bike jewellery. Perfect I said to myself, finally a way to express my love for bikes to others. I came across a bike chain bracelet http://www.recycledacc.com/product/BR-101 for €14, but I'm not sure about it. There is a free-shipping Christmas offer on at the moment which tempted me even more. What do ye think of these, like would ye wear them? I got a few more pictures of it sent to me, see below.

Any opinions would be great! Thanks

I don't muhc like the look of them myself, but I don't see why anyone is selling something that is so easy to make yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Húrin wrote: »
    I don't muhc like the look of them myself, but I don't see why anyone is selling something that is so easy to make yourself!
    They sell them because there is a hidden clasp which a real chain does not have. This means you can take it off whenever you want in a matter of seconds rather than minutes and only when you have access to a chain tool. Kinda handy, especially in airports!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

They sell them because there is a hidden clasp which a real chain does not have. This means you can take it off whenever you want in a matter of seconds rather than minutes and only when you have access to a chain tool. Kinda handy, especially in airports!

ah yes the frequent flyers, how could I forget?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

And how did it turn out, any pictures?

65843.jpg

Pic attached, judge for yourself

Advertisement